mtbr member
    May 2008

Good job! First FS bike.. moving up from a Rockhopper HT

Hey guys,

looking at a few options they have at my LBS, I see:

09 Kona One20 Primo for $1499
    09 Giant Anthem X3 for $1499
    09 Specialized FSR XC Comp for $1399

What do you think about these bikes? Are they all pretty much the same?

mtbr member
    Its not even a close comparison. I took a quick look and saw that the Giant had a Fox F-100 fork and Propedal rear shock. The other two have cheaper forks and shocks. The Anthem is more of a race bike with 4inches of travel and the other two bikes have five inches. The other two bikes will be heavier and more difficult to pedal. A better comparison to the X-3 might be either the Specialized Epic Comp or a base Stumpjumper FSR. Both of those bikes will be several hundred dollars more. I would be looking pretty hard at the Anthem.

I AM I AM
    It was quite a while ago (2006) but I also went from a Hardrock Comp hardtail to my first dually. At the time for me it was a close comparison between a Specialized FSR XC (maybe Comp) and a Giant Trance 3. Giant was the winner in the end and mainly because it offered the best value for money for it's price here in Australia.

The bike lineup may have changed somewhat by now but I believe value for money that Giant offers is still hard to look past.

Still you have more than that to consider, geometry and travel according to what kind of riding you do mostly. Also sizing does vary between different brands so you might opt for a certain brand purely because it fits you better.

Have fun choosing you new rig, the biggest changes you will find is getting used to sitting in the saddle a lot more and having to clean all those extra nooks and crannies!

Out of your list I'd pick the Anthem.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I forgot to update this post.. i ended up finding an almost new 2009 Specialized FSR XC comp for a mere $800. The guy still had the manual and the receipt too! He barely rode it.

So now I have a 2008 Rockhopper Comp Disc for sale. Any idea what I can get for it?

Members who have read this thread: 0