mtbr member
    Oct 2004

first fs bike... 2 choices

I'm ready to make the switch. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices now. The FSR Stumpjumper and the Cannondale Prophet 600. Both are the base models in their category, but I believe I can upgrade some stuff as it wears out. I've ridden both of them around the store and like them both, but my LBS doesn't like the idea of me taking them to the trails for a test ride. Any thoughts on which one to go with? By the way, I can get either of them for about $1600. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    passion, i was just in the same boat you are a few weeks ago. i didn't have the cannondale on my list but i did test ride the stumpjumper fsr comp, jamis dakar xlt (1.0 and 2.0), and a few others. i ended up going with the stumpjumper. so far i really like it. it has a lockout on the fork and on the rear shock which is nice. i wrote up a little summary here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...97590#poststop

the shop i bought from has a 30 day money back guarantee, the bike just has to be "clean" so a ride on dry trails would be ok.

good luck. i am sure whatever you get you will be happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by passion268
    I'm ready to make the switch. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices now. The FSR Stumpjumper and the Cannondale Prophet 600. Both are the base models in their category, but I believe I can upgrade some stuff as it wears out. I've ridden both of them around the store and like them both, but my LBS doesn't like the idea of me taking them to the trails for a test ride. Any thoughts on which one to go with? By the way, I can get either of them for about $1600. Thanks for the help.
    If the anal bikeshop owner wont let you test them on a trail, I would take them on extended rides in the area of the shop. Parking lot testing wont cut it when choosing a bike. Find some hills and some stairs to ride down and vacant lots, playgrounds,alleys etc. Jump off of curbs if you have to. You will have to improvise and find terrain in town that will mimic the trail. If the lbs owner has your wallet and identification, I say fvck it and ride each bike for as long as it takes and choose the one that feels the best to you.

I have tested bikes and the salesmen thought I had stolen it because I was gone for so long. It is something that you must do when making a major purchase like a bike.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Go with the FSR, nice solid bike.