First frame up build: Few noob Questions.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

First frame up build: Few noob Questions.

Well I piicked up a trek 4300 disc frame(2004/2005 aprox) for 20 bucks. It appears to be in good shape and all the welds are clean and no visible cracks. As far as the build up goes, it is for my wife and will be a budget build as she is new to the sport and I dont want to spend alot if it isnt somthing she is going to stick with.

I am very skilled in building motors and car repair work , so I am not scared but just have general questions.

First off the BB. Are these fairly standard? I know there will be some tools i have to buy.

and for buying a fork/ and the headset needed. Are headsets generic in sizing? I have also read about tapered headsets. Does the fork stem have to be tapered as well or is it tapered to a larger bearing at the bottom for more strength?

Thats all for now. Any wensites that i can read over would be great to.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Building up.a bike isn't too tough, especially if.you are handy. First, bottom brackets need to match the cranks. For example, truvativ crank won't work with a hollowtech bottom bracket. Best to get them together if you don't know what to look for. as for the headset, that frame takes a.traditional 1 1/8 headset. Look for a cane creek S3 on eBay or elsewhere. It will fit. Tapered forks require a tapered head tube. The diameter of the head tube is bigger at the bottom than a standard head tube at the bottom. They are both designed for a 1 1/8 fork steer tube at the top of the head tube. The stems for both designs have a 1 1/8 steer clamp as the forks.steer tube taper from 1.5 inches to 1 1/8. So, you'll need a standard steer tube fork.

You'll need some basic tools like a BB tool for tightening the BB. Headset presses are pricey so just have the shop press it for the $10 and be done with it. To keep prices down, buy used parts when possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. Scanning jensen BB seem to be affordable as well as the head sets. I was told everything else is ok to buy used. I have made bearing presses before for automobile suspension bushings but there not as critical for a perfect fit. I will have the headset dont at my lbs. Winter might not be as bad as i thought lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No problem. sorry for the 2nd grade typing/grammar, I was on my phone. You can use a bearing press/home made headset press if you desire. Lots of guys on this site have done the same thing. You'll just want to take it slow and use a fine threaded press in order to do so. If you muck up the headtube the frame is shot.
    Check the tools forum here and also Park's web site for more info on bike mechanics. Youtube has also got a TON of how-to videos. Between the three sites, you can pretty much learn everything you need to. In fact, look at the instruction videos on Youtube for installing a crankset. There is a great one for installing an XT Crank. check it out.

Have fun with the build.

T.W.O.
    Good post mnigro.

Op if you are good with your hand then search youtube for people putting bikes together. It's 3 times easier to do the job after you've seen it done, like M said.