First DH/FR bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

First DH/FR bike...

Im relatively new to mountain biking in general, but can say that I am planning to do more DH/FR style riding than XC. I am looking for a good first bike that I can still take on the trails, and ride up the hills, but will keep me alive at Whistler. I have easy access to Banshee, Giant, Trek, Fisher and Jamis. I may be able to get some others, but its much less likely. I am looking at bikes under 3000, preferably around 2500 max, but may be able to go a little higher. High on my list is the Reign X1, but looking for other suggestions. I would really like to do some races, but thats not the highest priority.

I unfortunately do not have access to riding much, maybe some Treks, the Giants I can ride are Trance and Anthems. I live in the Midwest, so thats mostly what is sold and ridden, I am moving to Portland though, so want something more than what would be good here (if I was staying it would be a HT probably).

Thank you guys,
    Nate

edit: Typo
    Last edited by kikyomerc; 02-24-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kikyomerc
    Im relatively new to mountain biking in general, but can say that I am planning to do more DH/FR style riding than XC. I am looking for a good first bike that I can still take on the trails, and ride up the hills, but will keep me alive at Whistler. I have easy access to Banshee, Giant, Trek, Fisher and Jamis. I may be able to get some others, but its much less likely. I am looking at bikes under 3000, preferably around 2500 max, but may be able to go a little higher. High on my list is the Reign X1, but looking for other suggestions. I would really like to do some races, but thats not the highest priority.

I unfortunately do not have access to riding much, maybe some Treks, the Giants I can ride are Trance and Anthems. I live in the Midwest, so thats mostly was sold and ridden, I am moving to Portland though, so want something more than what would be good here (if I was staying it would be a HT probably).

Thank you guys,
    Nate
    Of those builders, Check Giant and Banshee.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Any models you would reccomend?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kikyomerc
    Any models you would reccomend?
    I would agree on the Reign X, Banshee has some nice tough bikes, but not so sure on the models, the Pyre sounds good but it might be more AM than FR.

Also check Santa Cruz Heckler, since I think you can get one for 2,000 and a nicer one for a bit more. Check their site (www.santacruzbikes.com). Or the newer Bullit model also from SC, but I can't find info on their website, I'm not sure if it's out, or just soon to be released).

ride hard take risks
    Versus Blitz II as a sweet high end bike.

Ibex Atlas as a do all weapon.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Right now I am thinking of getting the SC VP-Free, it seems to be a good all around bike that can withstand DH. I am not rich, unfortunately, so I would be getting the R FR build and a cheapo fork (probably, unless I come up with more cash somehow). Heres how it would be speced:
    FRAME Small VP-Free frame (im 5'7.5")
    FORK RS Domain 318 IS Coil (the cheapo)
    REAR DER SRAM X9 medium cage
    FRONT DER Shimano M805 (Saint) or M580 (LX)
    SHIFTERS SRAM X7 triggers
    CRANKSET TruVativ Hussefelt 24/36 w/ bash guard
    BOTTOM BRACKET TruVativ Howitzer
    CASSETTE SRAM PG 970, 11/32
    CHAIN SRAM PC 971
    BRAKES Avid Juicy 5's w/ 203mm rotors
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 5's
    BARS Race Face Evolve DH riser
    STEM Race Face Evolve DH, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
    HEADSET Dia Compe HS0218
    SEAT POST Race Face Evolve DH
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Race FR
    WHEELS Mavic EX 325 rims laced to WTB Laserdisc Superduty hubs (or Shimano M756 for 135mm spaced rear hubs) w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.5 wire
    TUBES Kenda Freeride

Tell me what you all think, I know its not the best, but its still pushing my price limit of 3000, coming in at 3259.

mmm bacon

what about this

You live in the midwest so how much DH/FR do you actually have within lets say 2 hours that would warrant an actual DH/FR bike or maybe more of an AM rig like the heckler if you are moving to Portland look up the guys at Transition great bikes and great people. Since you also say that you are relatively new to mountain biking, what do you ride now, where's your skill level at.
    There is nothing bad about buying a first DH/FR rig used. I wish I had I would have saved some serious $$$, there can be some great deals at this time of year especially since everyone and their uncle is getting a new bike for the upcoming season. Check ridemonkey, the classifieds here at mtbr, local boards and ebay, especially ebay, bustedspoke is good too. Cheers

ride hard take risks
    How about a lovely used Versus Blitz frame with 6in travel.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...duct=195&cat=7
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I would rather not buy used. I am an employee of a bike shop, and can pro deal bikes from the above manufactures. I am not sure about SC, thats why it wasnt on the original list. I mostly do technical singletrack (the roughest I can find in Wisconsin) but want more. I love getting in the air, doing drops, etc, this is why I would like a FR/DH bike. I want something that I can still pedal up the hills, but bomb down them too. Like I said, I plan to visit Whistler as much as possible (I have a close friend whos dad owns a condo there), and going to BRMBA.

I am planning on getting another bike, a HT for smoother trails, but thats not where my money is going, and not as big of a deal as a FR/DH rig.
    Last edited by kikyomerc; 02-24-2007 at 01:29 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Versus Blitz II baby, you can order direct. Click the link scroll down to Latest News, Andrew Taylor has been shreading on a Versus. I use my Blitz II for everything, it pedals well going up rips it going down, very smooth in the air, loves the rough stuff, no flex needle bearings at all pivots.

http://www.versuscycles.com/
    Formotion Products

go huck yourself
    look at the kona cowan ds frame

Members who have read this thread: 0