First Bike. Questions about a Gary Fisher Sugar.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

First Bike. Questions about a Gary Fisher Sugar.

Alright so I won some money in Vegas and am looking to get into riding. My roomate has a trek hardtail and I rented a specialized full suspension and went with him. It was so much fun I decided to buy a bike.

I went to my local store to see their selection of Full Suspension and they had a Gary Fisher Sugar with the sticker on it of $1050. He said he could let it go for $850. It doesn't have disc brakes (Don't know if I need this) But he said the wheel set will accept them already.

Here is the picture of the bike:

Would this be a good bike to go and if he already dropped the price to $850 should I try and offer him $700 cash or would that be an insult.

Thanks,
    Paul

Freshly Fujified

It's a decent bike

It looks to be to be a 2005 Sugar 4+. It gets decent reviews here on mtbr (check for yourself) and has average to above average components. While I can't speak for the Bontrager wheelset, if it is indeed an '05 Sugar 4+, the wheels are disc compatible should you choose to upgrade. The price isn't bad, and while I wouldn't insult the guy with a $700 offer, I'd offer him $800 cash, but also buy accessories from him too. Get yourself a helmet, MTB shoes (the bike comes with clipless pedals, so you need shoes) some riding shorts and gloves. This should help the sting of asking for the extra $50.00 off.

Keep in mind that the bike isn't worth a dime if the bike doesn't fit, or if you don't like it when you test ride it. I'd go back, and take the bike on a nice ride before you commit. All in all a good bike, and a decent buy (not a steal mind you, but a decent buy).

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My wifes Trek 7000 came with a Bontrager wheel set and the rims have been super for 6 years running. The freewheel is a different story. Still works, but it's a bit grainy now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I bought this bike and I love it. Anyone got some good ideas on upgrades I can do to get this thing lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    I would just ride it until stuff wears out - then replace it with lighter parts. a heavier bike will give you a better workout and will shed the pounds off of you - free of charge!

the sugar is a great bike - i miss mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0