mtbr member
    Jan 2011

First Bike Build Questions

Hi,
    I am new to the forums and relatively new to mountain biking. I am trying to build a bike, and I was hoping to get some advice and double check to make sure I'm not missing any parts.
    I was going to use the SRAM x7 disc build kit from pricepoint.com...here is the link:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Build-Kit.htm
    I was planning to use the Marzocchi 22 Rlo Fork...Anyone have experience with this fork?
    I am not sure what to use for the frame though...any suggestions for a good inexpensive frame would be great. I was hoping to save some money on the frame and possibly upgrade later. What do you guys think of this frame:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm

Am I forgetting anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ATown512
    Hi,
    I am new to the forums and relatively new to mountain biking. I am trying to build a bike, and I was hoping to get some advice and double check to make sure I'm not missing any parts.
    I was going to use the SRAM x7 disc build kit from pricepoint.com...here is the link:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Build-Kit.htm
    I was planning to use the Marzocchi 22 Rlo Fork...Anyone have experience with this fork?
    I am not sure what to use for the frame though...any suggestions for a good inexpensive frame would be great. I was hoping to save some money on the frame and possibly upgrade later. What do you guys think of this frame:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/195...lloy-Frame.htm

Am I forgetting anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Personally, if i were building up this bike, i would definitely invest in a better frame!

FY, you can get a bettter (complete) bike from ur LBS than for thesame price as building your own.

Why are you building your own vs purchasing a complete bike? My guess is that you think you might save a few bucks...imo, not worth it for the potential headaches you may run into, and realistically, you won't save any money. Have you confirmed if the build kit will fit the frame you're looking at?

Good luck

mtbr member
    As 2_WD already stated, buy complete.

Not only is it more money to build your own, but as of spring time this year all bike related items (bikes, frames, parts, etc) goes up an additional 20% in price. So if you are about to buy a bike. Don't wait any longer, run out and buy a new bike now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Whenever I look at the LBS I cannot EVER seem to find a reasonably priced bike. I also have a hard time finding a solid used bike that is also the correct size on CL. Ebay has some decent stuff, but I would hate to buy a used bike before I saw it.
    I have always been a DIY kind of guy, and personally I would prefer not to take my bike to the store anytime I have issues. I just thought that building a bike would be a good way to learn how to maintain/fix my bike for myself. So does everyone out there agree that it is not worth it to build...keeping in mind that my budget is around 750-800 MAX?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you can live with the fact that it might cost a bit more to build your own bike, by all means, build away. Personally, I like the satisfaction I get when I ride a bike that I built myself, I get to put the parts that I want on there, and I know the quality of work that went into it. If you are good at hunting down deals, you might even save a few bucks.

Freshly Fujified

A couple of thoughts

While many posters are absolutely correct, that: A) It's amost always cheaper to buy a stock bike and: B) Right now, there are a glut of bikes, (even '08 - '10 leftovers) that can be had at a fraction of the price, here are some answers to your questions:

1) The X.7 build kit is a decent buy for a decent level spec.
    2) The Sette frame is not bad for the price, but you're already looking to upgrade. Bad sign. Spend a bit more and get a better frame (see my comments on leftover bikes, there are deals on leftover frames to be had).
    3) I'd pass on that fork.Typically, the most expensive component on any mountain bike is the fork. I can almost assure you that a year from now, you'll be kicking yourself for going cheap on the fork. Hunt around, find something that's a leftover, or a new bike take-off from someone who is parting out a bike.
    4) Have you forgotten something? The complete cockpit (bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, seatpost clamp), wheelset, pedals come to mind. What about a workstand and bike tools? Cables and housing.The Zinn book on MTB maintenance, etc.

You're on the right track, and I can tell you I have personally had numerous great experiences building bikes. FWIW, in addition to those I've built from the ground up, I have customized, upgraded, and otherwise changed the components on every single complete I bike I have bought off the shop floor. It's almost a disease. ;-) Be careful, you'll succumb.

Best bit of advice I can give you if you choose this route, be sure the component mix is well balanced. Based on the X.7 kit as your barometer, mid-range is where you need to be, which is pretty nice.

I hope this helps.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Your profile shows you have a k2 Apache 6.0. With a bike like that, why are looking at entry/mid level hardtails? Just lockout the shock and you have a 25lb hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATown512
    Whenever I look at the LBS I cannot EVER seem to find a reasonably priced bike. I also have a hard time finding a solid used bike that is also the correct size on CL. Ebay has some decent stuff, but I would hate to buy a used bike before I saw it.
    I have always been a DIY kind of guy, and personally I would prefer not to take my bike to the store anytime I have issues. I just thought that building a bike would be a good way to learn how to maintain/fix my bike for myself. So does everyone out there agree that it is not worth it to build...keeping in mind that my budget is around 750-800 MAX?

If you are having a hard time finding a decent bike at your LBS, have you tried a different shop? Do you live in a city that has bigger shops or are they just a small local operation? travel a bit to a bigger shop. Or develop a good relationship with your shop and you might be surprised. Most shops have as many bikes in the basement as they do on the floor. Ask if you can look around or if they have something that fits what you want. In reality, you'll want to get to know them anyway. Even if you are a do it yourselfer, you don't need to invest in all the tools to build your own. You will need to rely on the shop to press in bearings as well as maybe cut steer tubes and some other things involved in building your bike. There is more to it than just buying the stuff you want and bolting it on.

Members who have read this thread: 0