Final two- Cannondale Rush 400 & Specialized FSR xc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wink Final two- Cannondale Rush 400 & Specialized FSR xc

Rush 400 - $1.3K
    [LIST][*]pros- made in usa, finish on frame is much nicer than the Specialized FSR xc[*]cons -Dlr wouldn't budge on this '06 bike from $1.3K [*] components- deore front & Sram rear, Rock Shox recon 327, rear Manitou Radium R

Specialized FSR xc
    [LIST][*]pros - about $1.1K... it was $1.2K with tax, so probably like $1.1K, an '07 vs '06, disc brakes (not hydraulic)[*]cons - taiwanese frame[*]Rock Shox 33 / rear is X-fusion; deore-front & deore LX-rear...

In the "looks" department the Rush is miles ahead. I need your help on the components. I basically know deraillurs... LX, XT, and XTR is the best, lol....

I am sure there are more pros/cons... what guys think? I also went to see the Giant Trance and Anthems, but I'd prefer to stay on one of these... The $1.3K is a stretch for me, as it will probably be another c note with tax, atleast, so please no "you should look at this $1,700 bike'...lol

I am 95% sure I am buying one or the other...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cannondale 400
    - no explanation, no rhyme nor reason. I just like it better.

How much more is the 600?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by older guy
    Cannondale 400
    - no explanation, no rhyme nor reason. I just like it better.

How much more is the 600?
    No way...forget the 600... I will already be >$1.4K w/tax...

Cannondale, just better b/c? I did notice the nice weld seems were smoother and it seemed a nicer frame, but what do I know.

If components are day and night apart, then that will be a component in my decision, money still being #1 issue.... if components are "more or less" the same... I don't mind upgrading deraillurs later, for example.

thanks

ride hard take risks
    Im with older guy on this one, go with the Crack"n"flail

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok since Dog is still up and the Espresso Love Gu is still in my system, here:

Rear shocks goes to Rush with a brand name Manitou rather than Fusion for FRSxc.
    Drivetrain, I like the Sram triggers than the Deore.
    Brakes, no contest - Avid disc for Rush and Alloy ??? rim-brakes for FRSxc
    Cranks, TruVative vs Custom Shimano - nothing to lose sleep really as I read both are heavy but give this one to Shimano brand.
    Don't sweat on the remaining components, mostly equal and rest are proprietary parts

The forks are both Rock Shox which Iam not familiar .
    The wheels are both Shimano 475 hubs with Sun rims - even.
    The frame makes the deal.
    Last edited by older guy; 08-07-2006 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys... thank older guy for the detailed comparison....

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I also say go with the RUSH...

I know you said your not interested in spending more money - but you did mention how you don't mind upgrading deraileurs and such in the future... IMO spend more upfront save later..

Have you been able to ride the bikes? You may find you don't like the handling of the RUSH vs the Specialized or visa versa..

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexplantman
    Rush 400 - $1.3K
    [LIST][*]pros- made in usa, finish on frame is much nicer than the Specialized FSR xc[*]cons -Dlr wouldn't budge on this '06 bike from $1.3K [*] components- deore front & Sram rear, Rock Shox recon 327, rear Manitou Radium R

Specialized FSR xc
    [LIST][*]pros - about $1.1K... it was $1.2K with tax, so probably like $1.1K, an '07 vs '06, disc brakes (not hydraulic)[*]cons - taiwanese frame[*]Rock Shox 33 / rear is X-fusion; deore-front & deore LX-rear...

In the "looks" department the Rush is miles ahead. I need your help on the components. I basically know deraillurs... LX, XT, and XTR is the best, lol....

I am sure there are more pros/cons... what guys think? I also went to see the Giant Trance and Anthems, but I'd prefer to stay on one of these... The $1.3K is a stretch for me, as it will probably be another c note with tax, atleast, so please no "you should look at this $1,700 bike'...lol

I am 95% sure I am buying one or the other...
    You know, you might want to look around for another Cannondale dealer. The reason I say that is because the 2006 models are now being phased out by Cannondale, and yet your LBS isn't dealing too much on that model. It's possible you might go to another LBS that carries Cannondale, and get a Rush 600 for the same price as the 400. Aside from the advantage of better components, you get the Lefty fork, which is a much better fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    "I know you said your not interested in spending more money - but you did mention how you don't mind upgrading deraileurs and such in the future... IMO spend more upfront save later.." Bike Freak

"You know, you might want to look around for another Cannondale dealer. The reason I say that is because the 2006 models are now being phased out by Cannondale, and yet your LBS isn't dealing too much on that model. It's possible you might go to another LBS that carries Cannondale, and get a Rush 600 for the same price as the 400. Aside from the advantage of better components, you get the Lefty fork, which is a much better fork..." Businezguy

MY sentiments exactly!

mtbr member
    I am screwed on the 06 vs 07... the major cannondale dealers in town are it.... so no llittle mom and pop or alternative... I am going to check in the local board on this forum for someone to recommend another dealer a few hours away, I guess.. in FL...

Thanks for the heads up..

Oh, on ebay some guy just posted yesterday new Rush 400 for $1K.... but his feedback is all on purchases not one sale... I wrote him and he claims he closed shop and was selling... too attractive, but I am staying away from that one.

mtbr member
    I test rode the Specialized again today and the Rush 400 for the first time... Rush it is! While its over what I want to spend, the price difference is too close to settle for the Specialized at $1,050... The problem is none of the 3 dlrs I dealt with will budge on the '06, in low season here-HOT WEATHER, from $1.3K...and I am not paying that on something that will be 'last year's model" soon...

I am going to search for some cannondale dealers out of town and drive up to buy it if I find one a few hours away...

thanks for all the info... hopefully soon enough......

btw, the Rush 600 at $1.6K or $1.5K, they wouldn't budge either...

ride hard take risks
    Dont you hate going on a test ride then falling into lust

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lust is one of the 7 Deadly Sins, I would say falling in love

To alexplantman, if you have the patience, wait for a couple of weeks those prices will come down. And for $200 more I would strongly recommend the 600. And yes the lefty is well worth the extra money over the 400's fork.

ride hard take risks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by older guy
    Lust is one of the 7 Deadly Sins, I would say falling in love

To alexplantman, if you have the patience, wait for a couple of weeks those prices will come down. And for $200 more I would strongly recommend the 600. And yes the lefty is well worth the extra money over the 400's fork.
    Hey its just like when you go buy a car.... they force your ass into a test drive, b/c if you "touch the metal" aka test drive or ride in our case....you are going to fall in lust/love, lol...

I compared the 600 they had sitting next to the 400... it was a different (fox) rear shock, the leftie fork, but still no hydraulic brakes...same LX rear deraillur... Don't think I am springing that high, lol...

I concur, patience, and I got it right now. The only thing that might have me speeding this up is I want to take a week vacation and have the bike to travel to different mtb parks... if I find it out of town and they quote me a better price over the phone, then i'll buy out of town

Members who have read this thread: 0