The Final Decision- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

The Final Decision

O.K., after a lot of research and help from you people, I've decided to get the Specialized Rockhopper. I just rode it at my LBS and it feels great. They have a 19" in stock, and of course they say that that size will be fine. I'm 6'2" and I have ong legs, so I'm not really sure if the 19" is the right size. Of course the seat on both the 19" and the 21.5" goes to the same height, the issue is just the stand-over height (right?). The annoying thing is that if I wanted the 21.5 I wouldn't be able to ride it... Does anyone have any opinions? of course it may be a preference type thing, but any advice would be helpful
    TY

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 5'10 and have the 19" Rockhopper. I love the bike!!!

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Nelson
    O.K., after a lot of research and help from you people, I've decided to get the Specialized Rockhopper. I just rode it at my LBS and it feels great. They have a 19" in stock, and of course they say that that size will be fine. I'm 6'2" and I have ong legs, so I'm not really sure if the 19" is the right size. Of course the seat on both the 19" and the 21.5" goes to the same height, the issue is just the stand-over height (right?). The annoying thing is that if I wanted the 21.5 I wouldn't be able to ride it... Does anyone have any opinions? of course it may be a preference type thing, but any advice would be helpful
    TY
    Issue isn't standover height, it is top tube length. I'm just over 6 foot and usually ride a 20" or 21" hardtail. If you can talk them into ordering a 21.5" for you to try, that would help you decide. With long legs and a short torso, the 19" may indeed be the correct size, depending upon how you like the bike to feel. So if the 19" felt great as you said, then you have a winner.

mtbr member
    Well, since you like the way the 19" model rides, I think it will be OK...

BUT, since you're having reservations about which size you want, maybe you should look around and try out a few 21" models to see how well they fit you... if you don't like it, THEN go back and get the 19".

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and own a 21" (not a 21.5"...) '05 Rockhopper. It fits me like a glove - my inseam is 32" and my arms are 34.5". I actually owned a 19" Hardrock Comp but ended up giving it to a buddy - felt too cramped over time. Doesn't your LBS have any 21" Specialized Bikes on the floor? Try to fit a Hardtail if possible and make sure it's a Specialized. I tried out a 21.5 Trek Fuel 80 and it was Ginormous. Also, the standover height on the 21" is fine. Like Jwiffle posted above, top tube length is just as important. That's where I felt cramped on a 19".
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd guess that the 21" model would be a better fit, but you should try both out to see. It won't be a close call at all once you've tried both. You'll know which one fits better right off the bat.

If you do go with the 19", make sure you get a longer than stock seat post so that you can safely extend it as far as you need. One cracked seat tube later, I learned this one the hard way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It is not only the standover height.
    The 19" will have more seatpost showing than the 21.5" with the correct saddle to pedal distance. Also the smaller size 19" will have lower handlebar (with the correct saddle height) relative to saddle. Because the 21.5 is a bigger frame it will have longer top tube so the reach from saddle to handlebar increases. Just like what the others are saying it might be that the 19" is okay but, try a 21.5" to put your mind at ease.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ok, i tried both out and I've decided to get the 19". I roe it home and it feels great. BTW, its an awesome bike. Thanks for all the help. wow im excited...

I live to bike
    Have fun with the new bike!

mtbr member
    Enjoy -
    I'm having a great time with my Rockhopper (now that I've cured my case of upgrade-itis...).
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho
    (now that I've cured my case of upgrade-itis...).
    You found a cure?!

Please, please, pleeeeaaase don't let any of our spouses know a cure is availabe!

Members who have read this thread: 0