Hardtail:
    Motobocane 700HT
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/272144257.html

Rockhopper
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/274545334.html

Full suspension:
    This has potential, but might be kind of old
    http://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/277158360.html

Kona Stinky 18", w/Marzocchi Junior T Bomber Fork 7": Insane downhill bike but might be too heavy for trail riding:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0560&rd=1&rd=1

2006 GT i-Drive 4 5.0: Performance has this for $769 in store. I like the air shocks on this and have read good stuff about i-drive:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=3050

Iron Horse Warrior SE:This was just 679 in store. Might still be able to get that with my print out if I act fast:

2006 Iron Horse Warrior DS Trail: Still the Warrior frame that seems pretty tough in reviews:

I have a hard budget of $1000, but would prefer to stay lower to allow for some goodies (shoes, shorts, etc). I'm a pretty big guy (5'11"/260 but hoping to get lighter), so the stuff will have to be pretty tough. I hope to be able to eventually handle some of the rocky trails like Chivo falls and the Gap, stuff I did in the 4x4. I don't have to be the fastest out there, but I don't want to be constantly breaking and having to walk my fat butt back to the truck.

The 700HT looks like a killer deal (maybe about $350) and has some good upgrades, he's also right around the corner from me. The GT is also stuck in my head.

I used to ride road, but I just can't get back in to it so I want to try MB.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the forums

I did a quick glance at the bieks you're looking at and of the once you've chosen, the 700T on the surface seems to be a very good choice for a number of reasons. First off, from on 250 lb rider to another, buying a bike with a sturdy frame and fork are extremely important. I don't know enough about Motobecan frames, but I do know that the Reba fork on that bike is a good choice for heavy riders. It also has some pretty decent drivetrain components. It has disc brakes and a wheelset that's very sturdy. I would go and look at this bike quickly before someone else buys it. If it's in better than average condition, I'd give it very serious consideration so long as it's the right size frame.

Other than that, the other bikes are OK, but most do NOT have forks suitable for you at your size to be riding off-road. With your budget, I would consider a good hardtail as compared to a full suspension rig. You will get much more for your money, and again given the fact that your bike will need some pretty sturdy components to withstand the punishment riders of our size can dish out, hardtails in this price range are more likely to be equipped as such.

If you're open to buying a new bike, look at the Kona Hoss and the Specilaized Rockhopper Comp. Both would be good choices for you. If you're OK with buying direct from the manufacturer, check out the Trophy series from Ibex bicycles.

I hope this info helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I did a quick glance at the bieks you're looking at and of the once you've chosen, the 700T on the surface seems to be a very good choice for a number of reasons. First off, from on 250 lb rider to another, buying a bike with a sturdy frame and fork are extremely important. I don't know enough about Motobecan frames, but I do know that the Reba fork on that bike is a good choice for heavy riders. It also has some pretty decent drivetrain components. It has disc brakes and a wheelset that's very sturdy. I would go and look at this bike quickly before someone else buys it. If it's in better than average condition, I'd give it very serious consideration so long as it's the right size frame.

Other than that, the other bikes are OK, but most do NOT have forks suitable for you at your size to be riding off-road. With your budget, I would consider a good hardtail as compared to a full suspension rig. You will get much more for your money, and again given the fact that your bike will need some pretty sturdy components to withstand the punishment riders of our size can dish out, hardtails in this price range are more likely to be equipped as such.

If you're open to buying a new bike, look at the Kona Hoss and the Specilaized Rockhopper Comp. Both would be good choices for you. If you're OK with buying direct from the manufacturer, check out the Trophy series from Ibex bicycles.

I hope this info helps.

Bob

I am not sure that Reba is stock on the 700HT ..they normally come with lower end shocks. but if the bike is 400 with the reba, it may be a good bike. They normally come with a cheaper crank, but the firex is a pretty decent crank.

I'd ask the owner what mods he did. I'd also try to bust him on the price given that new 700HT are selling NEW for 430, but then again, their cranks, shocks and brakes are not as good.

Staying out of the way

I hope this info helps.

Bob
    The upgrades are what really have me looking at the 700HT. Since I'm not really familiar with MB's, I'd rather grab a bike I can toss a leg over than risk a bit fit via mail. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by txjohng
    I am not sure that Reba is stock on the 700HT ..they normally come with lower end shocks. but if the bike is 400 with the reba, it may be a good bike. They normally come with a cheaper crank, but the firex is a pretty decent crank.

I'd ask the owner what mods he did. I'd also try to bust him on the price given that new 700HT are selling NEW for 430, but then again, their cranks, shocks and brakes are not as good.
    The Reba is an upgrade as are the wheels. I was thinking I'd offer him $350 for it. I can't imagine I could go too wrong at that price.

Any thoughts on KHS HT's? My LBS carries Alite 500-2000 series although he seems kind of high price wise, I might be able to talk him down some.

Wow, I just realized how many acronyms were in that last sentance

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Imo if you want the least headaches, I would get avid bb-5 minimum as disc brakes. Fiddling with lower end stuff will just be a pain in the arse, because disc pads often cost 15-20 bucks a pair and a new pair of avid bb-5s costs 50 bucks shipped.

Freshly Fujified

Haggling

Quote Originally Posted by Erich in Az
    The Reba is an upgrade as are the wheels. I was thinking I'd offer him $350 for it. I can't imagine I could go too wrong at that price.

Any thoughts on KHS HT's? My LBS carries Alite 500-2000 series although he seems kind of high price wise, I might be able to talk him down some.

Thanks again
    While I think it's smart to offer the $350, if the bike's in good shape, don't lose it over $50.00. As for the KHS Alite, don't look at anything below the 3000 series. Forks again are sub-par for you.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Staying out of the way
    While I think it's smart to offer the $350, if the bike's in good shape, don't lose it over $50.00. As for the KHS Alite, don't look at anything below the 3000 series. Forks again are sub-par for you.

Bob

Thanks.

My hopes and dreams of a FS bike are bashed (as expected ). I had hoped maybe the GT would work for me, but I'd rather have a dependable bike than bells and whistles.

I think if the 700HT isn't beat and fits me, that's what I'll grab. I should be meeting the guy tonight at around 5 to check it out. That leaves a lot of extra $ in the budget for bandages, air splints and hospital deductibles as I learn to ride the thing.

Staying out of the way
    Well, I ended up with the 700HT for $350. I like the ride and I feel like the price is pretty good for what it is. It's got some scratches and stuff, but overall looks pretty decent. I'm going to toss some new tires on it before I hit the dirt, and probably move my computer to it from my road bike, then spend some time getting to know it. I figure I can start off with the tires that are on it for the street while I get in some sort of shape (besides pear) and wear them down.

Now, any suggestions for tires, and or tools for the dirt?

Pics of the bike are at: https://s126.photobucket.com/albums/...ke/04%20700HT/

Thanks for all the info folks!

Freshly Fujified

Not bad!

Well, I ended up with the 700HT for $350. I like the ride and I feel like the price is pretty good for what it is. It's got some scratches and stuff, but overall looks pretty decent.

You did very well. As for tires, it really depends on what kind of terrain you'll be riding. Each tire has their strengths and weaknesses based on terrain (hard pack dirt, wet, rooty, rocky conditions, loose soil, etc.) I would think hard about what your typical riding conditions are and pose a question in the Wheels and Tires Forum asking for advice for tires used in those conditions. Go to your local bike shop and get yourself a good multitool, some tire levers, a mini-pump, a tire repair kit and a couple of tubes. In addition buy a camelbak so that you have plenty of water for your rides, and to put all your tools in.

Keep us updated on how you like the bike!

Bob

S*it Happens!
    Nice Bike!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up with the 700HT for $350. I like the ride and I feel like the price is pretty good for what it is. It's got some scratches and stuff, but overall looks pretty decent. I'm going to toss some new tires on it before I hit the dirt, and probably move my computer to it from my road bike, then spend some time getting to know it. I figure I can start off with the tires that are on it for the street while I get in some sort of shape (besides pear) and wear them down.

VERY NICE BIKE especially for the $$$$$.

It has a super nice REBA SL fork, firex crank, and ryhno lite wheelset. This was a great buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Great pick

I love my Motobecane 700HT
    If you take a close look you will find that the frame is nicer than most bikes costing way more. Very good welds on these bikes.

enjoy your new bike

mtbr member
    That is a GREAT bike for $350, even if it's a little scratched up. I hope it fits you perfectly.

Tip: for now, swap the front and back tires. The front tire seems to have decent tread left, whereas the rear tire looks a little worn. The traction is more important on the rear for climbing and accelerating. Based on the pics, i think your tires may have a good amount of life left.

Ant

mtbr member
    Tip 2: read up on the Reba. Your fork is awesome, and you want to make sure that you understand all the adjustments and ways that you can personalize it to your weight and style of riding. LOTS of great posts on the Reba here on MTBR.

Here's a great one.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Reba

Just keep in mind that the PSI quoted vary depending on whether or not your Reba has U-Turn - externally adjustable travel. Your Reba does not have U-Turn, but the travel can be adjusted internally to 85mm, 100mm, 115mm depending on how you set the internal spacers.

Ant
    Last edited by antonio; 02-14-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0