is facing necessary for bb install- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

is facing necessary for bb install

I have a 2008 specialized sj fsr that I am about to install a new chris king bottom bracket in. Is it necessary to have the frame faced before I install? This is my first bottom bracket install, so it is new territory.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if theres already a bb in there, then the frame is already faced. remove the old bb and clean the shell. the shell as in the part of your frame. the threads and the face that the bb butts up against should appear to be uniformly machined surfaces, as they are not subject to wear and tear. if the thread or face appear gauled up or worn then that is not normal and you should take the frame to a shop to see if it can be repaired.

if it looks good, then it's ready for some grease and the new bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +1, chase it and you should be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    what do you use to chase it with?
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can install a bb without facing, so I wouldn't say it's necessarily already been done. Since a bottom bracket is in there and presumably working okay, I assume you don't need to chase the threads, but it couldn't hurt. You'll be able to tell if the shell has been faced when you take the old bottom bracket off, and if it has been there is no reason to do it again.

David B.

Members who have read this thread: 0