Experience with Jamis?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Experience with Jamis?

In terms of an affordable FS the Jamis Dakar is in my price range.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with the lower-end of Jamis bikes?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have an 03 (I think) Dakar - for what it cost it's solid, and they are better speced now: mine had tektro v-brakes and an axel comp fork.

Really the only problems I've had where because I bought it from Performance.

If you are ok with buying online, I believe Ibex has somthing in that price range as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My sons has been no probelm for the first month.

Seems like a nice bike Dakar xlt 1.0

mtbr member

Good job!

My Jamis Dakar Expert has held up for years (it's a 1998). Of course I got upgradeitis and over the years I've upgraded almost everything except the frame and wheels. All in all they are solid bikes.

Only problem I've had with the frame in the 7 years I've owned it is that last year I started to get into freeride, and I took the Jamis to Snowshoe. During that weekend one of the pivot bolts broke and the bushings fell out.

I contacted my local Jamis dealer, and they called Jamis and ordered a new bushing kit for the my frame. It took about two weeks to get and it cost $10. They also sent me a free park multi-tool because they were so "slow" in shipping the parts out.

I've since purchased a dedicated freeride bike and ride the Jamis on the XC trails it was designed for.

I like Jamis, they have a decent dealer network, their bikes are lighter than average for the same "level" of bike from other manufacturers. Also Jamis prices are a little lower than some of the more well known names like Specialized and Trek.

Regarding the lower end Dakar. For the price it seems like a good bike. The frame is good enough that it will be worth upgrading in the future. Jamis has been using that same FS design for years and I doubt they will substantially change it in the future.

Here are some pics of me racing my 1998 Dakar Expert (if your interested):
    http://dalenet.com/~delmar/mtb/waw/

Members who have read this thread: 0