European Bike Size Confusion&Conversion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

European Bike Size Confusion&Conversion?

Are European mountain bike sizes measured in cm, measured the same way as the normal road bike (Seat Tube Length)?

This has been bothering me for a while, as I've always wondered if you could get a better fit then just a small,medium,large. When I asked at the LBS a while back, I got a huge range...ie a medium is anywhere from 44-50cm, and then something about its not 'exactly' measured like a road bike (maybe it was a special frame I don't remember)...
    This didn't sit well with me, because it makes no since to measure bikes differently??

I only ask now, as I'm looking for a better fit bike, and opting for a European size frame, so I can dial in the exact size. I find the most mediums just a little too small, and the larges just a little to big. With a range of 40cm -->62cm I can find the exact size I want.

Thanks

T.W.O.
    Use the conversion, it would help. As far as the sizing, even if it's publish in inch you'd still get confuse because different companies design differently a medium from company A can be equal to large from company B. Some has shorter seat tube and/or longer top tube to fit their "secret sauce" riding quality. Just do your homework and test ride them before you buy if possible online fitting is not a reliable way to shop for a bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sob Rogue View Post
    Are European mountain bike sizes measured in cm, measured the same way as the normal road bike (Seat Tube Length)?

This has been bothering me for a while, as I've always wondered if you could get a better fit then just a small,medium,large. When I asked at the LBS a while back, I got a huge range...ie a medium is anywhere from 44-50cm, and then something about its not 'exactly' measured like a road bike (maybe it was a special frame I don't remember)...
    This didn't sit well with me, because it makes no since to measure bikes differently??

I only ask now, as I'm looking for a better fit bike, and opting for a European size frame, so I can dial in the exact size. I find the most mediums just a little too small, and the larges just a little to big. With a range of 40cm -->62cm I can find the exact size I want.

Thanks
    What the LBS guy meant to say was that road bikes usually have a bit longer seat tubes compared to mtbs. For example a medium sized mtb would be somewhere between 43 cm and 48 cm. A medium sized road bike would go from about 48 cm to 52 cm.

local trails rider
    Seat tube length is not a particularly good measure of bike size, whether measured in inches or centimeters.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Seat tube length is not a particularly good measure of bike size, whether measured in inches or centimeters.
    This^^^

But if you want to size a mountain bike by the seat tube that is measured in cm...just divide the cm by 2.54 to get inches.

For example
    47.5cm/2.54 cm/in = 18.7 inches

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As it turns out, a friend who has access\huge discounts to European bikes is offering me a new bike at no cost. I will try to apply the suggestions given, but if you have any further information on the bike sizing, especially to the one's linked in the new post, I would appreciate any input.

New Link:

Members who have read this thread: 0