Epic or Superlight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Epic or Superlight?

Hi all,

New to Full Suspension. Need some advice. Running primarily techical Michigan singletrack. Very little air, but some nice downhills and climbs. I want XT (maybe LX front der, etc.) caliber components. I dont' race anyone but myself at this point. I'm about 5-10, 175lbs

Currently running steel frame, rigid, and the ride is killing me. Hands go numb halfway through the ride. I'm not as young as I used to be.

Both can be found used, in good shape, for around $1000. My question is, which do you prefer?

Thanks,

A Real Winner.
    Hmmm, those are two very different bikes. I ride in Michigan a lot as well, and I have looked at the Epic in the past as well as the SC. The Epic is a very firm FS bike. If you want plush, this is NOT the bike for you. If you want fast and efficient, that is what the Epic is. If you want plush, the SC is a very plush, simple, and reliable bike. So, I guess it's a toss up, do you want fast and firm, or plush and simple?

If it was me. . .I'd get a KHS XC204. But that's just me
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Isn't plushness a factor of the shock and how you set it up? Do I have to worry about pedal bob with the SL?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There is nothing like demoing them both. Anyway, these would be the main differences;
    - the epic frame will be heavier. The (Brain )shock is designed to shut off while pedaling and reacts when the force comes from the ground.
    - the superlight is a single pivot design, lighter compared to Epic's frame, climbs good because the design helps put traction to the ground while pedaling but not as active as a horst-link (Epic) during hard braking.
    If you want to build a light bike that is simple in operation Superlight it is.
    If you like high tech - cutting edge rear shock, horst-link (4 bar design) that will be the Epic.
    Like I said, you have to ride them. Even a parking lot ride will give you a favorable impression which one.

Members who have read this thread: 0