Entry to mid-level trail bike: any recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Entry to mid-level trail bike: any recommendations?

Hey all.

I'm in the market for a decent trail bike that I can use to bump around the backwoods of upper New England. I'm pretty new to mountain biking, so I think it'd be silly to spend any more than $800 or so (since I'm probably not at the point where I could tell much of a difference between an $800 and an $1800 bike) but I also want a bike that I wont outgrow after this summer. I'm mostly looking at hardtails.. I wouldn't bother with full at this point, but I'd consider a rigid if it was a great bike. I'm 27, 5'11" 170 lbs in pretty good shape. What I'm really looking for is a great frame that I can beat the hell out of and not have to worry about, and some decent components that I can be happy with this summer and then maybe look to upgrading as I get more into it. Any suggestions?

Thanks, guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Click on my name and click 'find more posts by aadosx' and read the threads that i have posted in. Lots of good info there.

If I was to suggest a Bike though right out I would say Kona Cindercone or Caldera if you want something just a tad on the beefier side, or a specialized rockhopper if you want something a little lighter and more for just cross country trail riding.
    Urban/XC/AM

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Ibex was one of the first I looked at, but I'm not thrilled about buying my first bike without trying it out and I can't find a local dealer that carries them. Plus, they seem to be going fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerk
    Ibex was one of the first I looked at, but I'm not thrilled about buying my first bike without trying it out and I can't find a local dealer that carries them. Plus, they seem to be going fast.
    i can understand that feeling as well as i was one of them... the reason for Ibex bikes not being sold at a local dealer is because they are a net company which only sells straight to the consumer and thus eliminating the middleman giving you more bang for buck. It's a manufacturer to consumer company. But after riding my buddies ibex i was sold on them and now ride mine and love mine... There's a reason they go fast though... Even before they are launched, they are selling out in some sizes...

But buying online is not for everyone... go to your lbs and testride some bikes...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    i can understand that feeling as well as i was one of them... the reason for Ibex bikes not being sold at a local dealer is because they are a net company which only sells straight to the consumer and thus eliminating the middleman giving you more bang for buck. It's a manufacturer to consumer company.
    hehe, not true! middlemen are actually good for economy and save both parties money. it's just that in this case, the middleman is this forum, which is a very efficient at times, and cheap middleman.

anyways sorry and back on topic!
    Urban/XC/AM

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Are you looking for either a hardtail or a full suspension?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    Are you looking for either a hardtail or a full suspension?
    hardtail

Members who have read this thread: 0