mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. Entry level purchase: Trek vs. Giant

Whiling reading up on mountain biking I learned that there are several nice trails near my campus. That fact was enough to clinch the deal, I want to enter the hobby. This summer I will be purchasing my first serious mountain bike. I've been told that Specialized, Trek and Giant are all good brands for my price range, which is around $500. After visiting my local bike shop (which doesn't carry Specialized) I've narrowed my choices down to the Trek 4500 and the Giant Yukon.

The two bikes have similar prices ($500 for the Trek, $470 for the Giant), but the Yukon comes with disc brakes. How is the overall value for these brands at this price point? Is there some trade off in components that allows the Yukon to sport discs while remaining slightly cheaper or is it simply the better buy? I haven't had a chance to test-ride either of them yet, but I understand how important comfort is. I'd just like to know what I'll be sacrificing when I make my decision.

Here are links to the bikes in question:
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Moun...4500/index.php
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11039

The bike will be used mostly for light to moderate XC riding with perhaps some commuting.

Edit: Fixed links
    Last edited by Zazamoot; 07-13-2005 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

my vote

Quote Originally Posted by Zazamoot

Here are links to the bikes in question:
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Mou.../4500/index.php
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/03...asp?model=11039

The bike will be used mostly for light to moderate XC riding with perhaps some commuting.
    Those links don't work, looks like somehow parts of the URL were deleted and "..." was put in. But I looked both up anyway. I would lean towards the Trek, most of the components are simliar. But the fork on the Trek is only 80mm (basically 3 inches), its still a much better fork than that suntour on the giant (which I doubt you'll ever find another suntour replacement). The wheelset is just a wee bit better as well (I'm biased against alex, that's on the giant).

More importantly is to get one that fits you and you are happy and riding. Eventually you'll want something better, and when that day comes, it will be glorious.
    Rule # 59. "Free advice is seldom cheap."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the response, the shopowner seemed to favor the Trek as well. I appreciate the second opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    my last bike was a giant atx760 ~1992 model... ridgid fork... thing lasted me til this year, sold it to a friend... don't discount the giant, it is a solid bike... a friend has an older yukon that he is still riding, his is like a 93-94 model... decent bikes for sure... the trek 4500 is a good bike as well...

take 'em both for a test ride and get the one that feels best, you won't go wrong with either... if you can't decide which one feels best, get the cheaper of the two and use the extra few bucks for some upgrades...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazamoot
    Thanks for the response, the shopowner seemed to favor the Trek as well. I appreciate the second opinion.
    Yeh, I'm kinda a GIANT guy now myself with how pleased I've been with my Trance, BUT I'd have to say looking at the specs I'd prob go for the TREK - better components and you can always upgrade to discs later on.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Another vote for the Trek

My wife has a Trek 4300 and it has served her well over the past year. We have not had any problems with it and it rides pretty well for the price. The 4500 seems like it would be a decent bike for the price.

btw - discs on any bike at this price point are probably not that great. A good set of v-brakes will work just fine.

Ride on
    Jan 2004

step up just a little?

Both of those bikes have marginal forks and 8-speed cassettes. Most modern mountain bikes use 9 speed cassettes, which means you won't have as many choices when it comes to replacing or upgrading drivetrain parts. Is there any way you can afford an extra $100 for the Giant Iguana? It has an oil-damped Marzocchi fork and better drivetrain parts that will function better and last longer.

Otherwise pick the one that's more comfortable.