mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Entry Level First Bike, Looking at these 3

I'm looking for a first MTB for 'easy' dirt road and some trail riding. These 3 bikes are all entry level and priced similarly ($330-$350). I know they're inexpensive but it's all I can get and can do upgrades if something breaks, which I'm sure will happen. I have 3 dealers around that have these and I'm going to check them out this week. They appear very similar and it probably will come down to which one i feel more comfortable on. Anyone have an opinion on these 3?

Thanks & appreciate any feedback on these '05 models.

Giant Rincon
    Specialized Hardrock Sport
    Trek 3900

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    no experience with the Giant, but it seems like a lot of people like them. If you are going to buy a Trek, I would recommend the 4300. The components on it are a little better than the 3900. I have 2 friends with 4300s and both seem to be good bikes for light trail duty. Also, the Specialized seems like a decent bike for the price. A lot of people in my area have them and they seem to work well. Any of the 3 will fit your needs just fine.

I would suggest you go ride all the bikes and see which one fits you the best. Spend some time pedaling around and you will be able to tell a differnce in the way each rides. When I bought my wife a bike, she could tell immediately which bike she wanted by the way it fit her. So go ride them and see which one fits the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the Trek 4300 was out of my price range but it looks like the '05 'non-disc' model lists for $359 on the Trek web site (The Orange/Gray one). I'll look at that one too.

Randall "Tex" Cobb
    Apr 2005
    Recently did the same shopping for my girlfriend. The specialized seemed pretty heavy compared to the Giant and Trek. In my opinion it was well built, but much too heavy. The Giant and Treks were pretty seemed to be of the same quality as each other but she ended up going with a Kona Hahana. The Kona frame is very light and is the same as the more expensive hardtails (Cinder cone and Caldera) I also thought the Kona geometry was spot on. I think she paid somewhere around $350 for it before tax. It also seemed to be the lightest of the bunch and the Marzocchi fork seemed to be the nicest as well.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Second on the Kona. Much higher tech and lighter frame and components are as good if not better all around. I did the same exact shopping early this Spring and looked at the same models (except the Giant). I got a leftover Kona Fire Mountain for my son. It is a sweet bike and a great value for the dollar.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Checked out all these bikes and ended up getting a Gary Fisher 'Advance'. Similar to the Trek 4300 non-disc, $30 cheaper and it felt the best to me.

Thanks.