Ellsworth Distance... Or what?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ellsworth Distance... Or what?

Hi there,

Im currently searching around for a good quality 5inch travel frame to build up as an enduro/trail bike.
    I would like to have a bike that can be ridden in endurance races but one to have a bit of fun on and do some aggressive trail riding.

I currently own a steel hardtail SS, which is perfect for XC riding, so i dont want a light 4inch duallie, i want a bike to compliment it.

I weigh about 67kg (bout 150lb) and previously owned a 2004 GT I-Drive 1.0, which was fantastic, i actually still wish i had it but sold it to build up my Salsa.

Unfortunately i can't get my hands on a GT I-Drive 5, which would be ideal, so im looking at building up something similiar.
    I would be happy with a bike under 29lbs, so i can still ride all day and race too, it would be built up with Sram gearing, a RS Revelation or possibly Pike Air, tubeless wheels, hydros, light cockpit and 2.3 inch tyres.

The Ellsworth Distance seems to fit the category, its reasonably light, simple and has relaxed geometry. It's also a pretty good price for something good quality.

I have looked at other frames like the Cove Hustler, Stiffee, Handjob, Banshee Pyre and Scirocco, the Orange 5, Yeti 575 and others.

I want something good quality but im not paying over $2500 Aus ($1200 US) for a frame.

As for the hardtail/duallie debate, im pretty sure i want a duallie, to further separate the bikes intentions from my Salsa, but im open to advice.

Are there any other options i should be looking at? I have a complete drivetrain that ive ripped off the Salsa, so ideally id like to build a new bike, but i will look at off the shelf options where i can slap on my Sram groupset onto (ala GT I-Drive 5 1.0).

Thanks for the help guys and gals,
    Cheers,
    WIL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Oh yeah, i forgot to add the Rocky Mountain ETSX, nice lightweight 5 inch travel frame, dont worry im no hucker and definately not a parts destroyer.
    Thanks!

Time is not a road.
    The Distance is a good bike (I owned an Isis - 4" travel model frame) and it would serve you well in the areas you want to use it. It has good mud and tire clearance in the back so you'd be able to run just about any tire you care to, up to at least 2.4 (I ran a 2.4 Motoraptor on the back and got some chain slap on the tire in the granny).

The ETSX would also be a good bike for what you're intending to do - it was designed for endurance racing in mind. The Distance will have a simpler design which would generally require less maintenance overall. The ETSX has a complex linkage that caused some problems in the past (I don't think these are recent issues, though). The single pivot bike will have some inherent ride characteristics that you'll need to get used to that perpahs the RM won't display, such as brake jack and pedal feedback. They are manageable traits, but they definitely exist. I'm not certain, but I think the RM linkage is designed to tune these elements out. The ETSX also has adjustable travel, if this is important to you.

In the end, I'd decide where you can get the best service locally. If you have a warranty issue, is there a dealer that you trust who will help you resolve it? Are there bikes around that you can ride? Because really, it's all about the ride and how you fit the bike. Ellsworths tend to run long, so keep that in mind. I've never ridden a RM so I can't relate their fit. You might check the RM boards for that info.

ride hard take risks
    Off that list deffinatly the RM hands down no question!!!

Time is not a road.
    Why's that, particularly?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Why's that, particularly?
    I have not riden one but heard really great feedback. Have riden the RM Element & like the solid feel my only complaint would be the components are a little lower end for the price of the bike. There are so many great bikes out there it basicly comes down to which on get you all warm feeling.

Members who have read this thread: 0