mtbr member
    May 2018

Eliminating cable rattle in internally routed MTB frame with foam

I have a Yeti 4.5 with internally routed cables. I recently replaced my shifter inner/outer cable and must have left too much slack in the frame as I hear it slapping the frame when going over rough stuff.

I was going to just trim it a little but a thought popped into my mind and was curious if anyone had tried another solution: insulation foam.

My likely bad idea involved getting a can of that home self-expanding insulation foam and injecting some where the cables enter/exit the frame. The thought was to create a collar to hold the cables still. I could still replace the cables in the future by leaving the inner wire and letting it be a guide for the outer housing - or - using a screw fitting to connect the new hydraulic cable to the old and pulling it through the frame (and insulation).

I am 85% sure it's a bad idea but thought I couldn't have been the first person with such a thought. Anyone ever try such a fix?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McCasland View Post
    I am 85% sure it's a bad idea...
    I am 100% sure you are right ;0)

Just put a length of foam in the tube. My bike arrived that way. It works and is removable .

mtbr member
    Bike brands use and supply lengths of soft foam tubing that slides over internally routed cable housing and hoses for this purpose. This works well if the entrance/exit ports are such that you can get the tubing in.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Get a small zip tie or 3 on each internal cable housing and leave the tag ends on, it keeps them stable and silent up against the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Get a small zip tie or 3 on each internal cable housing and leave the tag ends on, it keeps them stable and silent up against the frame.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I did a good bit a Googling, see a few methods involving zip ties, and wanted to make sure I am following. Are you suggesting:

1) pulling the outer hosing and brake hose, putting zip ties around them and not cutting any length off the ties, and putting the outer housing and hose line with ties attached back down into the frame? Then the uncut ends of the zipties kept the housing/hose pushed up against the frame and reduces the rattling?

or

2) pulling shifter and brake cable slack out of the cables where they enter/exit the frame and using zip-ties (on the outside of the frame) to create little limit stops to keep the cable tight inside the frame?

I've seen both methods talked about after much Googling but can't see any feedback on what works best. I am reluctant to disconnect my disc brake cables and pull them out to put zip ties on them both for not wanting to mess with my brake system after getting it dialed in and also not wanting to risk pulling the brake hose up in the frame and have to go through the ordeal of fishing it back out.

I greatly appreciate any feedback / pointers.

Many thanks in advance.