Dump the 'boutique' bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dump the 'boutique' bike?

For those who have ridden both SPV and ProPedal: I have a Foes FXR, which is just the sickest bike, love it. BUT, it has miserable rear tire clearance and I haven't been too impressed by their service.

I can get deals on Konas, so was considering swapping out my Foes with a Coiler DeeLux. I'd pocket a good amount of change and get good tire clearance. Now I know it's boutique bike vs. mass produced, but I'm most concerned about losing climbing performance--both bikes are clearly talented descenders.

Any thoughts about whether I'd be bummed about downgrading from the Curnutt to the ProPedal?

banned
    Jan 2004

I haven't ridden both, but if your riding involves a lot of...

...big hit drops, and/or you're a heavier than average rider, the SPV type shock will probably have better bottom out resistance. The only thing I'd compare to the Curnutt in the Fox lineup, is there upcoming DHX, which isn't supposed to be available until August.

Sorry, but I can't comment on the frames, as I've ridden neither.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kind of OT, but when I became really serious about having fun and getting the most out of a bike, I quit the whole boutique bike game and jumped on whatever accomplished the job.

If it means getting more tire clearance (seems a priority to you) plus you can pocket $$$, it's a no brainer. The ProPedal is not gonna hinder you climbing, although I think SPV as a rear shock is better. That said, I have not put enough time on a Curnutt to comment, but I've played the whole "trade in sick and sweet limited production" bike that is only making me 90% happy for a mainstream/Taiwan bike that was closer to 95 or 99% happier. I used the extra money to buy a roadbike, got in serious shape, hopped on my cheaper Taiwan frame and utterly hammered all the pretty boys who take breaks every 15 minutes to compare the shine on their XTR this and that, titanium that and this.

When you're sweatin' and your tongue is on the toptube, and you're covered from helmet to SPD in dirt and muck, who cares if your frame is chi-chi or not. If the Kona fits you and the tire you want, get it.

mtbr member
    For those who have ridden both SPV and ProPedal: I have a Foes FXR, which is just the sickest bike, love it. BUT, it has miserable rear tire clearance and I haven't been too impressed by their service.

I can get deals on Konas, so was considering swapping out my Foes with a Coiler DeeLux. I'd pocket a good amount of change and get good tire clearance. Now I know it's boutique bike vs. mass produced, but I'm most concerned about losing climbing performance--both bikes are clearly talented descenders.

Any thoughts about whether I'd be bummed about downgrading from the Curnutt to the ProPedal?

One other option which may be too expensive (I know I wont spend the $$ for my FXR) is you could buy the new FXR rear end which is supposed to clear 2.7's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    good point about the no-BS bikes Dan...I totally agree. As fun as it's been to have a rare, high-zoot bike, it's all just ridin'.

Scott-I was wanting to get the new triangle, but that's where my disappointment w/ Foes really started. They recommended a tire for the '03 triangle, and even the recommended tire at 2.2 actually rubbed the frame when new. It clears it now, but constantly picks up pebbles that ping off the frame. Fortunately I live in Utah where there's not much mud, but any little mud puddle jams it up quickly.A new triangle is just wayyy too much money to put into that bike; plus Foes requires you to ship it to them AND pay an installation fee. More than anything my dealings w/ them have made me not want to support them by continuing to own one of their bikes.

edit: what rim/tire combo do you use on your FXR ScottW?

I did get a chance to test ride a Coiler yesterday around the parking lot, and it seemed to climb hills with minimal bob--but that might have been the REALLY stiff spring; it was really hard to tell if I put a 400-lb spring on if the ProPedal would be anywhere near as plush as the Curnutt. As it was set up, I felt like I was riding a bike with 3" of travel vs. 5" on the Coiler.
    Last edited by Summit; 05-02-2004 at 10:33 AM.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    one other thing to consider, even though the rear tire clearence on the 03s is pretty restrictive, just about every other bike out there will feel like a "wet noodle" in comparission to the FXR. Maybe not one the first day (all new bikes feel "very stiff" to me on the first one or two rides), but as time goes by they will loosen up in ways that the FXR simply can not, and the FXR is simply designed to be a stiff bike. So that is something to think about if you decide to get a new bike. Personally, I'd get the 04 rear end if I was in your place. I run a 2.1 weirwolf in the rear of my FXR and feel it is a fine combination, I went "enduro-downhilling" a few weeks ago with 4000+vert and 10+ mile descents, the kind of ride where a downhill bike is fine for some sections, but there are also some uphills and flat sections. My FXR is my new "XC" bike, but for this ride I put a 2.7" intense 909 up front (it just barely clears my front fork verically at bottom out), and flat pedals on. I couldn't really change the rear tire obviously, but I never felt the need as I was going down the mountain either. I could fit a slightly larger tire in there of course, but apart from that, a 2.3 or 2.5 tire simply would have slowed me down more than it helped. If you truly have to fit that big of a tire on your bike, this may not be the bike for you.

More tire clearence wouldn't be a bad thing, but would I ever use it? Probably not, I try to keep the weight down on this bike so that I can ride it all day long, and a big tire is pretty contrary to that.

Kona bikes, especially the coiler/stinkys pedal pretty bad, low-pivot=lots of bob. Very active suspension and sometimes it's difficult to actually tell if you are bobbing or not (other than being tired a lot sooner than other guys), but it does bob a lot, benefits from a romic or other type of "pedaling platform" shock.
    Last edited by Jm.; 05-02-2004 at 01:35 PM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    edit: what rim/tire combo do you use on your FXR ScottW?

I am curently using mavic 317's with a Schwalbe Albert 2.25. Clearance is fine but I couldn't ride in mud. I'm in NM so it's rarely muddy and if it is the mud is mostly clay which sticks to everything. I tired a Fat Ablert 2.35 but it rubbed.

I called Foes recently about ordering a derailuer hanger because the local dealer doesn't have any. The guy I spoke with said to go to the dealer and have them order it. I was a little annoyed, I understand supporting your dealers but it's an $11 part for pete sake.

Otherwise I love this bike and the 2.25 is plenty big for my type of riding but it does suck to be limited.

I agree with what JM says as far as stiffness. I came off an Uzzi SL, no slouch of a bike, and immediately noticed how much stiffer the FXR was. This bike has definitely allowed me to go faster with more confidence and the Curnutt is amazing. I dont do drops much more than 3 feet but it sucks them up like they were nothing. After a year on this bike it feels good as new.
    Last edited by ScottW; 05-02-2004 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I agree with what you guys say about stiffness--don't get me wrong, I love this bike. I think I would notice the sloppiness--I used to ride a Specialized Big Hit and after a couple seasons of riding that bike, while fun, was the definition of slop.

Jm., it's not that I have to run a 2.3 or bigger tire; it's that the 2.2, while I can ride on it, doesn't really clear the frame. I don't want to run something as narrow a 1.9 or 2.0. I'm sure it has something to do with my rim selection (Rhyno Lite), and I've looked at finding a narrower rim like a Mavic of some sort, but again it's a spendy upgrade.

Another option would be to swap frames for a Ventana El Chamuco, which has great tire clearance. I think it's a slightly slacker head angle than the FXR--anyone able to compare the two?

Thanks for the great input!