Dual suspension for under $800??- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

New question here. Dual suspension for under $800??

I'm helping a friend who wants to get back on the trails. His current MTB is a '91 model rigid! He thinks he has $600-800 to spend on a new bike. I said that would get him a decent hardtail or an entry-level full suspension bike.

We're talking XC or AM here. He's not likely to be a gonzo rider, and he's medium sized (under 180 lbs), but is pretty fit so he's going to be hard on drivetrain stuff.

So what do you guys think? Is there a decent FS bike out there - with disc brakes - for under $800 new?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Don't bother.get a hardtail.Imo,you can't get a decent dual suspension bike for under 1000.00

ride hard take risks
    I'm with jeff1962 get him on a HT, much better bang for the buck. Check out Ibex, they are a net company but have great pricing for the product. He can get a Trophy Comp for $799 with full LX components & Avid BB7 disc brakes.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

https://www.ibexbikes.com/

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion - that's a screamin' deal!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sheesh!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    I'm with jeff1962 get him on a HT, much better bang for the buck. Check out Ibex, they are a net company but have great pricing for the product. He can get a Trophy Comp for $799 with full LX components & Avid BB7 disc brakes.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

https://www.ibexbikes.com/

Do you get some sort of payment for advertising Ibex bikes? That's about all you ever recommend. Sure they have some nice deals and such, but they don't seem any better than any of the other more established brands. Lighten up a bit on pushing one single brand eh?

Trail Rider

How about a used bike?

Bikes lose so much value as soon as you walk out of the shop. A lot of people spend money on FS bikes and then lose interest in cycling. You may find a used FS for less then you want to spend and use the difference to get a tuneup or upgrades. Even better if you work on your own bike!
    Don

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Do you get some sort of payment for advertising Ibex bikes? That's about all you ever recommend. Sure they have some nice deals and such, but they don't seem any better than any of the other more established brands. Lighten up a bit on pushing one single brand eh?
    People say that, and yet I find that no bike in the price range generally has the retail price of an Ibex with the same quality in components. Sure you could go into a store and maybe get a deal on a 2006 model that will equal the cost of an Ibex, but aside from that, Ibex seems to offer better components compared to the price of the model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Brand spankin' new you probably have to go hardtail for that type of money to get the most bang for your buck. If your friend is educated about bike setup and maintenance, then an internet purchase may be the way to go. I gave lots of thought to an Ibex bike earlier this summer....they look great for the money, and I live in Atlanta so their manufacturing facility is close to me. However, I am really comfortable having a LBS backing me if I need assistance. As for price, it's getting to be end of season, and really great deals are starting to come along if someone has their eyes "peeled" and cash in hand. I think I got fantastic deals and support from my LBS on the three bikes I have purchased throughout this summer (a HT, a FS, and a roadie). They also gave me big discounts (or threw some of the items in for free) on the Thule roof rack, shoes, and accessories I purchased (yes, I am very poor now.......but since I bought all this stuff and can't afford food, living off a crackers for the last few months has helped me drop some weight). Best of luck to your friend on whatever he decides to do.

A Real Winner.
    KHS XC104. $769. That is the bike to get. You are getting a sweet frame, disc brakes, and good mid-level components. At least check one out before you make your final descision. . .

www.khsbicycles.com
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

I live to bike
    Bang for the buck, you'll do better with a hardtail. That said, you'll have a nice, fun, cushy ride on a full suspension! I had a cheap Giant Warp for a couple years I loved. And it was only $500. That KHS got a good review in a rag a few months ago. The Giant Pistol is also under $800, and although the drivetrain is a little on the low end, you get Hayes disc brakes and an Axel fork, and even Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove tires--not bad at all for the price.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    No i dont .

As Buisnezguy pointed out they are a great deal. Some of the manufactures are starting to attempt to compeat with Ibex adding better components to lower priced bikes. There are many great bikes out there to pick from Ibex is not the best bike in the world but if it works out for somone awsome. I support Ibex & Versus because they have been very good to me, great dealing with people that are real, customer service goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    jamis dakar base model is $825 msrp you might be able to find a deal.. the components arent as high end as what you would get on an equally priced hardtail but if full suspensio xc is what you want then it doesnt matter what hardtails are in that price range.

2006 Iron Horse

YAKUZA ANIKI

Sale $649
    Last edited by nismo driver; 08-09-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0