Dual Suspension Help?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Dual Suspension Help?

I guess you'd say im a noob to the mountain biking world, but ive riden bmx all my life. Im in the market for a dual suspension and look to buy come spring, but Im lost when it comes to finding what i want. I ride in the UP of Michigan and some souther wisconsin, I love single track and want to get into some more down hill but for now im all about the xc. Ive always riden GT for bmx and even a mountain bike so i naturally went there and checked out the GT I-drive 5 1.0, but im not sure about the quality of that bike. Other choices I have seen and liked are the Trek Fuel Ex6, Rocky Mountain ETSX-30(extremely NICE), Gary Fisher Hi-FI Plus, and the specialized FSRxc. The things that Im looking for are a good trail and downhill bike, I really like Fox Shocks only cuase ive had tons of problems with my rock shock, and a warranty. The bikes ganna have to last at least 6 years so i want good components and im tired of cheapos . Any Insight on any of this would help and if there another bike out there im missing let me know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XC and DH are not compatible. You either buy a bike for one or the other, but that's if you are referring to real DH and not just the opposite of riding up hill. If you are then any of the bikes you mention are good bikes and will ride up and down pretty darned well. The more you spend the more bike you get that you can adjust to your likes. So if you're really talking xc then make sure to buy the one that fits you best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Well the Dh im talking about isnt something thats huge, but im more thinking for 4-5" of travel

LBS Manager
    I have an ETSX 70 and you cant beat the ride and feel of this frame. The new 07's look to be beefed up enought to fix the seat tube issues they have been having. The problems is no bike I know of will last 6 years without needing some things replaced. I never get more than a season out of a drive train even if I change chains regularly. Out of the bikes you listed the Rocky is the way to go IMO but don't expexct it to go 6 years with no probles or replacement parts.
    If you plan on hitting the lift assited slopes you might want to look at a RM Slayer or Specialized Enduro

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Go with the Rocky and you won't be disappointed. I love mine more and more every time I hit the trails.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thats what i was thinking but the $2700 is a hefty price

Work Hard, Play Harder
    You can probably get an ETSX-30 for somewhere between 2,000 and 2,200. I bought my 06 ETSX-50 for less than 2,700. MTB'ing is probably the funnest hobby out there but I won't lie it's a pretty expensive hobby. As you get out there and start riding, things will break and need to be replaced. It just comes along with the territory. I would just pick the base model of whatever bike you decide to go with and upgrade it as things break with better parts. You won't find any bike out there that's gonna last 6 yrs with no problems. Shocks will need to be serviced, cranks, derailleurs, derailleur hangers, chains, spokes, tires............etc, all these things are subject to breakage no matter how good they are. Just keep that in mind. Buy what you can afford and take it from there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I kinda figured that and wasnt exspecting things to last 6 years, but i just wasnt looking to buy a totally new bike for another 6 years after i get one, I understand things break. My trek now is only a year old and Ive got stuff breaking

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Get a 5" +- travel bike, which will give you great versatility. I believe the 07 ETSX is 5" travel now?

The 07 Slayer SL looks promising. If you go Specialized get the Stumpjumper.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Get a 5" +- travel bike, which will give you great versatility. I believe the 07 ETSX is 5" travel now?

The 07 Slayer SL looks promising. If you go Specialized get the Stumpjumper.
    The ETSX is definitely a 5" travel bike. My 06 can be set to 4, 4.5, or 5" of travel. Kinda nice having all of those options. Not to mention 3 different propedal settings on the rear shock, as well as rebound adjustment. I love technology.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I love that feature of the rocky but what im thinking now is to just go with the 10 then upgrade when things break but im not sure on that front shock if its any good or is it really worth the extra money to just get the 30 and get the fox?

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Definitely go with the fox. It's always better to get the best model you can right from the start because it'll save you a lot of money in the future. I wouldn't get any model lower than the ETSX 30.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    okay well i think i got what i need, and ill see what happens come spring but any opinion is still valued

mtbr member
    GT i-drive... you wont be disappointed.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Quote Originally Posted by greenspeed
    okay well i think i got what i need, and ill see what happens come spring but any opinion is still valued
    I wouldn't rack your brain too much about what bike to get in the spring. In all honesty, spring is almost 6 months away. I guarantee whatever you set your mind to will change by the time March hits. Your best bet is to wait until you have the cash and then make the final decision. Base the decision on what's available at the time, price, and keep reading reviews and opinions on here. Good luck with whatever ya get and let us know how ya make out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I havent riden an I-drive yet but i plan to ride most of the bikes i listed

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by greenspeed
    I love that feature of the rocky but what im thinking now is to just go with the 10 then upgrade when things break but im not sure on that front shock if its any good or is it really worth the extra money to just get the 30 and get the fox?
    I think you're on the right track on the Rocky Mountain. I would choose now the bike that has the fork and wheels that you want (those are probably the two most expensives upgrades to do later). So if the model 30 is the one with the Fox, go for it. If the differences are just drivetrain, color, or even brakes, but with the same fork and wheelset, mind the budget

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ive lowerd my choices to just a few after some further debate with myself and this forum...Im looking at the Rocky Etsx-10 or 30, Trek Fuel Ex-7, and the Trek Top Fuel 7. Ive decided that im ganna try to race xc come spring, but i still want to trail ride. I want it to be comfy ride and still able to be light and agile. My price range needs to stay under $2000

Work Hard, Play Harder
    The ETSX is a great trail bike but if I were you I'd take a look at the Element instead if you plan on racing. It might not be as plush as the ETSX for normal trail riding, but it is a better choice if you plan on racing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was actually looking at that, but "IF" I race its probably only going to be like 1 or 2 next summer and thats it, but I was riding today with an xc racer who was way faster than me, but i was listening to what it takes to get started and it sounded like fun

Members who have read this thread: 0