mtbr member
    May 2016

drop bar XC/commuter ideas?

I've been thinning out my bikes lately and looking for something to replace a couple that i've sold.
    I've been really wanting a dedicated commuter/do everything bike. something that id use almost daily, loaded up, run a frame bag, extra bottle mounts, maybe would become my bikepacking bike.

I also want to get into some endurance mtb events next year but I dont think i could buy a dedicated XC race bike.

So I've been thinking something that can run around a 2.0 29er tire, if not bigger, dropper, rigid, some wide flared drop bars etc.. could work pretty well for both.
    more drop bar mtb, rather than gravel/monstercross.

so just looking for some ideas for frames, I like metal, of some kind, ti or steel, not totally counting out carbon, but ive broken a carbon frame, cranks, and bars, i really want something i dont have to baby. plus this is the type of bike that i could see keeping for 10+ years.

The moots baxter looks pretty close to perfect, just would REALLY like to avoid paying that much for a frame.

Reeb sams pants seems close to the baxter, not a bad price either, might want a little more tire clearance though.

salsa cutthroat seems awesome, almost perfect except for the carbon.

any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Did you look at the Salsa Fargo?

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Soma Wolverine.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just picked up a Raleigh Stuntman. Amazon has the small and XL cheap, Ebay has the other sizes for a little more. It's Rival 1, with no name cranks. I'm swapping some 165 GX Eagle cranks on it so I can run a direct mount between 28 and 40T when needed.

The BB is low and the stays are long, its very stable.

The 52 and 54 really fit the same size riders, as the seat tube angle is the only real difference. The head tube is taller on the 54 also, but they come with about 2" of spacers, so not a big deal.

I am 5' 9" and went with the 52, and I am glad I did. I still may swap to a shorter stem. I will eventually put 46cm wide bars on it also, but I have no complaints with the 40cm ones that came on it.

Tires are a fairly decent 700x50 (29x1.95) and there is clearance for a little more.

The frame has internal routing for the brake hoses, which I don't love, especially since the rear hose was about 2" too long. I am far too lazy to cut it, so I routed it under the BB instead of over, and problem solved.

The seat and seat post that come on it are useless. I dropped 2lbs swapping to a fixed post, cheap seat, and tubeless, and I am expecting another 1/2-3/4 lb from the cranks. The stock cranks, bb and chainring are right at 1000 grams.

Good luck.