Does this frame have a good design ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Does this frame have a good design ?

Hi

I am considering purchasing the following carbon frame with rear suspension, but before doing so I would like to get some feedback on the design. I want to know anything people can observe about the design of this frame. Is this frame a good purchase ?

NEW FULL Carbon Fiber MTB Frame Mountain BIKE Rear Shock 19" 3k Fast Delivery | eBay

I am particularly interested in the suspension. I know almost nothing about the many suspension designs out there. My understanding is that this frame has a "faux bar" design where the linkage is in the seatstay. This being inferior to the "horst link" design where the linkage is in the chainstay.

A local store owner told me not to get a full suspension frame unless the linkage was in the chainstay, and that I would be better off sticking with my hardtail then a "faux bar" suspension. Is this true? Are faux bars really that bad? Is there a considerable and notable different between "faux bar" and "horst link" ?

Please refrain from making comments in regards to the risks of eBay or the quality of workmanship and materials of chinese manufacturers. I am well aware of the implications.
    Last edited by jarango; 01-17-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to include link

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Jan 2012
    Looks like a chinese knock off to me. I would steer clear.
    Leftys creep me out

T.W.O.
    Why do you want the carbon FS bike? Actually, let's start by what do you want out of that bike? Carbon? Full Suspension? or low price?

Don't take this the wrong way but that eBay seller is just as clueless about the suspension design as you. The pics he posted on the auction has single pivot Cannondale, and another version of SinglePivot of the Gary Fisher, not the same as what they are selling.

Don't worry too much about the design. If you get big brand's design like Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, etc. You should not have to worry about how the bike would ride. All the big brands also offer Carbon version.

Cheap Knock off full suspension would not ride as nice as the original. There's so much more than just putting linkage and shock. Big brands spend so much on R&D trying to optimized the geometry and precise placement of the shock as well as custom valving the shock to match shock rate and suspension ratio.

Cheap Carbon is another story especially in FS bike. Reputable brands stand by their product and offer warranty, how are you going to go after the eBay seller if you break the linkage or rear triangle?

Titus used to offer their frame about $1k now the price went up a bit. I like the FTM They are definitely best bang for the bucks.

Just remember you get what you paid for, buy it right buy it once. Aluminum bike is not bad if your budget is on the lower end of the scale, a decent FS carbon frame would be around 2k+ there's a reason why. Don't buy the lazy answer that they are the same just different stickers/decals. Everyone want to sell hell out of their product if they can because the more they sell the cheaper they can produce.

If that's your budget you may want to look into a used bike as well. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Even if i works well enough for you, what will you do when you have to service the pivots?

Buy something like a Trance/Anthem X4 and sell off everything you dont want, or stick with aluminum.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    All the modern suspension designs from the major (brand-name) manufacturers work great. Most of them work even better with modern platform-type shock (think ProPedal).
    The shop guy you spoke with is stuck in the past - before decent rear shocks came out, you had to pick your suspension design carefully; based on the type of riding your doing and what kind of performance you'd expect out of it. It's 2012. All the big players make great bikes that climb like mountain goats and descend like you're riding on a cloud of pillows.
    If I were shopping for a new FS bike, I'd find one that fits well first, is suited to the riding I want to do (think - how much travel do I want?), and that is going to be supported by the manufacturer and my LBS. The type of suspension - Horst Link, 4 bar, Faux Bar, Single Pivot, VPP, DW, would be the last consideration.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    Even if i works well enough for you, what will you do when you have to service the pivots?

Buy something like a Trance/Anthem X4 and sell off everything you dont want, or stick with aluminum.
    So the hardware that keeps the pivot together is not standard? How about the linkage? If it it breaks, can I use another linkage or will I be screwed ?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jarango View Post
    So the hardware that keeps the pivot together is not standard? How about the linkage? If it it breaks, can I use another linkage or will I be screwed ?

You will be screwed.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You will be screwed.
    In so many words but basically, yeah