mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Do you regret buying a gravel bike and why? What size max and min. Tires can you use?

Give us all the details about why you do or don’t like your Gravel bike.
    Any other opinions, comments or wisdom?

mtbr member
    It ruined mountain biking for me.

40mm max, 28mm min.

Steel. Enve CX fork. Di2. Hydraulic brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    It ruined mountain biking for me.

40mm max, 28mm min.

Steel. Enve CX fork. Di2. Hydraulic brakes.
    What are/were your MTB bikes? Where do you ride and what kind of stuff/surfaces do you Ride?
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    I don't regret buying a gravel bike one bit. For me they just make sense. I don't ride fast or race. I like the more relaxed endurance geometry and a gravel bike rides just as well on pavement as any road bike I've owned but can do gravel, fire roads, and some trails...things that would be a challenge (not in a good way) or impossible to do on a road bike.

I do occasionally take out a mountain bike for some gravel road riding just to change things up...but if I'm riding the road, 99% chance it's on my gravel bike. Which for the record is technically a CX bike...but I did have a Jamis Renegade but sold it last year. The Kona CX bike is just much more enjoyable to me.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Rides all the bikes!
    I ride all the bikes.

-My roadie is way faster and more comfortable on road rides.
    -My CX (currently used for CX in season, commuting, and gravel) is better for riding where the MTB is overkill (I ride a 160mm enduro).
    -My XC bike is for XC racing. That's it.
    -My E29 isn't good for anything but chunky riding.

I will be building a different bike starting from a budget CX frame that will be primarily my multi surface bike, but I have no regrets having one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    With all the Gravel Bikes threads lately I am wanting one. But it will probably be more Cyclocross than Gravel.
    I would want the maximum tire to be 700x38C or (maybe) 700x40C. Any terrain requiring tires bigger than that it is probably best on my MTB.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    All your bike are belong to us.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Gravel bikes ruined road biking for me. Seems pretty dumb to own a road bike at that point.

mtbr member
    My gravel bike let’s me explore new areas without having to drive to them.
    It’s also a great way to get a ride in when your to beat up for an all out mountain ride.
    One last thing, I can ride it on the road during the winter when the trails aren’t Fat bike-able. Full fenders and road studded FTW.

Mines carbon and runs 700x40s or 650b x 47. I like the 650s better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    How do you like the flared handlebars pluses and minuses, please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1 View Post
    How do you like the flared handlebars pluses and minuses, please.
    Typically, the flared dirt drop bars are wider than road drops. Narrow road bars feel weird to me. I also like the shallower drop.

Negative would be mounting the levers where they’re comfortable may be more challenging. Most dirt drops are only available in aluminum so they’re a bit heavier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Typically, the flared dirt drop bars are wider than road drops. Narrow road bars feel weird to me. I also like the shallower drop.

Negative would be mounting the levers where they’re comfortable may be more challenging. Most dirt drops are only available in aluminum so they’re a bit heavier.
    Just FYI, Salsa and Easton recently released carbon versions of the aforementioned gravel bars. I really want the least extreme Salsa version when I can save up the funds for it.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    Mines carbon and runs 700x40s or 650b x 47. I like the 650s better.
    Beautiful bike! Love the lighting in that photo you posted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Gravel bikes are great for exploring and mean any road sections in your rides are quickly covered. Mountain bikes with big knobbly tyres are much slower on road. Longer road sections are no fun on a fs mtb.

Bikesexual
    I love mine!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Gravel bikes ruined road biking for me. Seems pretty dumb to own a road bike at that point.
    I agree.

My 'gravel' bike is a custom jobber, similar to a kona roadhouse. It feels slow on the road, but that's because the tires mute all the buzz i associate with speed. It's actually faster than my fancy road bike everywhere but in a bunch or on flat-ish tarmac. It does everything my road bike can do.

But it's so much fun to descend on, and i can climb beginner/intermediate singletrack in comfort and style, and shitty semi-abandoned roads are a blast, which has really opened up where i can go for a road bike ride.

I see gravel bikes as 'drop bar bike for cool back roads' bikes. That means gearing/geo/brakes/tires are going to vary quite a bit within the segment, which means Trekalized aren't going to be able to sell everyone the same heavily marketed doohickey. Also means if you feel like your gravel bike is lame.... that's your fault.

I can run a max of a ~38c (which is like 42c on my rims). Wider than i intend to use. A 28c or less runs the risk of pedal strikes- 82mm of bb drop.
    Last edited by scottzg; 05-31-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Riding on the gravel is fun and gravel bikes are fast compare to mountain bike.

To me, there are more pluses with Dirt Drop than mountain bike bars. Dirt drop definiely have more positions available.
    Norco Threshold Single Speed
    Trek X-Calibur 7
    Bianchi San Jose with riser bar
    Trek Madone
    Kona Dew
    Tomac Taos

I like turtles
    Love mine. I converted my Spec CruX CX bike over to "gravel" - wider rims/tires (40s), wide-range 1x, flared drops. Still race CX on it...great all-around bike for "adventure" riding..hell...I do singletrack on it too.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I regret not buying mine sooner. I have a 2015 Cannondale CAADX. I've changed the gearing to a little wider range than the cyclocross gearing that it had. Max tire size is probably 38mm rear and a bit larger front. I use 35mm tires which is the sweetspot for me for mixed surface rides. I'm an old roadie and much prefer drop bars for paved roads and the sort of gravel roads I use the CAADX on. I have a flat bar gravel bike with wider tires(hardtail XC MTB converted to rigid with handlebar cut narrower & added bar-ends) for the rougher end of gravel spectrum.