Do you love your Pivot 5.7? Do you love your Turner 5.Spot?- Mtbr.com
    formerly "nandomax"

Do you love your Pivot 5.7? Do you love your Turner 5.Spot?

It's that time in life where the itch needs to be scratched, and I thought: “What better way to get back on MTBR than to ask about bikes?

I've narrowed it down to Pivot 5.7 or Turner 5.Spot (yes, I'm a sucker for DW link)

Context:
    I like the type or riding that includes technical climbs and technical descents, and have been know to launch or jump stuff on occasion. Not interested in racing, thankyouverymuch (although every ride seems to have those "racing-like" moments).

Trails are very rocky here in Texas. These bikes ate them (demo'ed a while ago). Now I have the best of problems: choose among two awesome bikes.

So, tell me:
    What do you love (or hate) about your Pivot 5.7 ?
    What do you love (or hate) about your Turner 5.Spot ?

T.W.O.
    Passing on Mojo HD? They are pretty awesome

Yes, that's fonetic
    Had an '08 RFX and my '11 Spot is a more than capable replacement. Climbs WAY better and with the 160mm Fox 36 descends equally as well. Initially, I did notice the shorter travel in back, but did the DGC shim mod on the rp23 and now all is good. Just yesterday at the top of the climb I was once again boring my riding buddies with my "I love this bike!" raving.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Oh, and despite your proclamation that you've narrowed it down to those two, prepare for lots of other suggestions.

formerly "nandomax"
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Oh, and despite your proclamation that you've narrowed it down to those two, prepare for lots of other suggestions.
    Heh, heh… Yep, I expect no less.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wow, expected more banter about these 2 bikes and yeah, why not include the Mojo HD if you're digging the DW link?

Mojo HD/SLR can go 650B and Turners new Burner 650B is now in production. Nothing on the 650B front from Pivot (Mach 527 has a nice ring to it) but it's coming at some point and I think what I'm waiting for.
    2016 Trek Remedy 8 29er
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b SOLD

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Wow, expected more banter about these 2 bikes and yeah, why not include the Mojo HD if you're digging the DW link?

Mojo HD/SLR can go 650B and Turners new Burner 650B is now in production. Nothing on the 650B front from Pivot (Mach 527 has a nice ring to it) but it's coming at some point and I think what I'm waiting for.
    It's pretty much variations of the same bike I agree with the HD, it's how I have it set up full 650b and 2 travel setting with limbo chip.

I rode my friend's Firebird a lot, while shopping for a new bike, but in the end, it's the old friend's feeling I got with the HD. I own 2 Mojo already. Test rode quite a few bikes mostly from friends in the group so I can do several trail rides on the same bike to really get to know the bike. The choices was down to HD, Firebird, RFX, and carbon Nomad.

Nowadays most FS bikes can climb efficiently and offer very plush and control descend as well as active suspension during braking, so the decision would come from geometry, brand loyalty, and fit. I don't think price is the issue at this range of selection.

I don't really have anything significantly bad to say about the bikes mentioned above but put a gun to my head, here are a few points.

At the time there's no carbon models available on Turner and Pivot so if I wanted to go with carbon Ibis was the only choice. I am not a fan of Pivot's look(my brother love it) and Turner 5Spot was the heaviest choices of the 3 brands in the same travel, and they postpone the RFX.
    Last edited by mimi1885; 09-28-2012 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mimi, as always you bring up some good points.

formerly "nandomax"
    I guess having this decision to make is a good "problem" to have, huh?

TRANCER
    Mimi always with a great answer. Listen to Mimi. The man knows his bikes
    Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0