Do I need my fork socks/boots?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Do I need my fork socks/boots?

I am currently riding a year 2000 specialized hardrock comp with the original fork. I currently have the socks/boots on but I have been wondering about the amount of travel that happens during certain points of my ride. Does any know whether the seals on the fork might be good enough to take them off if the fork is too old to risk exposing the stanchions. Thanks for your advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    WIthout knowing the model of fork, it's hard to say, but i'd leave them on.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The model is rock shox jett xc, sorry forgot to add that.

Picture Unrelated
    Depending on your riding conditions and attention to maintenance you could probably get away with taking them off, but I'd just leave them alone.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Stanchion boots are kind of a double edged sword. On one hand, they ideally keep contaminates out. On the other hand, if they are cracked or damaged, or are poorly designed, they can trap dirt and grit near the stanchions and make things worse.

Does your Jett have a coil / MCU design, with no rebound or compression fluid? If so, the boots aren't terribly essential.

Best advice I have is to pop the boots off on one end, clean them inside and out (and the stanchions as well), and pop them back into place. Check the boots for cracks and other damage.

mtbr member
    I think fork books or shock boots are a bad idea. Stuff always gets under them, and its like rubbing sandpaper on the stanchions.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Boots are needed on some of the earlier Rock Shox stuff because the seals are not designed to keep dirt and other contaminants out .

Members who have read this thread: 0