DJ/Urban bike for a newbie...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

DJ/Urban bike for a newbie...

Hello, I was wanting to ask your opinions on which bike to get before I go out and buy one. I have about $800-$1200 to play with. I'm about 5'7" and 135 lbs, and probably gonna do a lot of dirt jumping and urban stuff. I'm a skateboarder at heart, but was wanting a bike I would be able to take to the skate parks aswell as riding on trails with my wife. I was also wanting something that I could possibly upgrade in the future. So, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Designated Bleeder

Urban Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Bert
    Hello, I was wanting to ask your opinions on which bike to get before I go out and buy one. I have about $800-$1200 to play with. I'm about 5'7" and 135 lbs, and probably gonna do a lot of dirt jumping and urban stuff. I'm a skateboarder at heart, but was wanting a bike I would be able to take to the skate parks aswell as riding on trails with my wife. I was also wanting something that I could possibly upgrade in the future. So, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!
    For an inexpensive, tough as nails ride for dirt jumping, urban and park riding, its tough to get better than the Azonic Steelhead. It is a smoking deal online for $150 for the frame. Build it up with some beefy rims and a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3 on the front and you will be in bike park bliss. Sadly though, most bikes that are good in the park or on jumps are not good trail riders. You will probably have to compromise...

There are better frames on the market but the prices just go up and up. In terms of components, I would stay with an LX drivetrain since you want to trail ride too. Singlespeeds are best for park and jumping because the parts take so much abuse (less to break). The LX parts are fairy cheap and decently durable, but any hardcore park riding or jumping and those parts are going to be disposable. Better keep them cheap...

MTB SOCAL

Transition Trail-or-Park

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Bert
    You may want to check out the Transition Trail-or-Park. You can run either 24 or 26 inch wheels. It may be a little over your price range, but you may be able to find a used one. Here's the link - http://www.transitionbikes.com/TrailorPark.cfm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions!!! I'm still undecided on what to get. I do like Trail-or-Park, but I may have to think on that one since money is an issue. I've been thinking of the P2 or P3. Does anyone have any feedback on the 2005 P-bikes? How bout the Santa Fe Chameleon? I'm just new at this and don't know too much about DJ/Urban bikes. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what I get.

Freshly Fujified

Check out the Giant STP

In addition to the others you're considering the STP should be in the mix, too.

Good luck in your decision.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    May 2005

What size P3?

Well, I've decided on the P3, and my next question is should I get the long or the short? I was talking to someone at the shop, and they told me that the long would be better, and noone rides a short. I checked out the geometry of both long and short, and there seems to be not much difference. They only had a long at the shop so I couldn't ride a short.