Difference in the Sette Ace and Sette Derro Single Pivot Designs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Difference in the Sette Ace and Sette Derro Single Pivot Designs?

Hi,

After this season, I'm thinking about switching my components from my Rockhopper to a fs frame. I have heard some good things about the Sette Ace, but I recently discovered that they'll be changing their lineup sometime this fall. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to fs designs, but I do know that the position of the shock in relation to the bottom bracket plays a big role on the performance of single pivot frames. Can anyone give me some information on the difference between the current Sette Ace frame and the Sette Derro frame (available this fall)? I mostly ride singletrack with some challenging climbs, rooty descents, and I rarely jump any higher than 1-2'. Most of what I ride is your typical east coast singletrack. I weigh about 180 geared up, and I hope to purchase a frame that I can ride during the weekends and in races. Between these two frames, which one would have the least amount of pedal bob and would serve me best? Thanks so much!

Sette Ace: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/184...onarch-3.3.htm

Sette Durro (rather crappy drawing): http://www.settebikes.com/Derro.html
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

Former Bike Wrench
    It appears that the Durro may be eliminating the rear pivots, many bikes over the years have done this. The seat stay pivots on most Faux Bar Link (ie modified single pivots) only rotate a degree or two. I measured on my Jamis XLT and it was ~1.5 degree. The flex in the seat stays can more than compensate for not having a pivot (Trek, Fisher, Salsa have or are currently used this concept).

The main advantage is a little weight reduction, less maintenance, and it does create a little bit of a "platform" to limit pedal induced suspension movement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the insight mtnbiker72 If anyone else has anything to add, then please do. From what mtnbiker 72 has stated, it appears that I'd be better off waiting for the newer version of this frame. Hopefully, Sette decides to sell it as frame only - I definitely don't need another complete bike.
    The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. ~Christopher Morley

Members who have read this thread: 0