Difference between 120mm and 140mm for XC/Trail/AM - does it even matter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Difference between 120mm and 140mm for XC/Trail/AM - does it even matter

Hi All...For 2011 a number of bikes have moved to 140mm travel (Stumpjumper [comp] and Marin Mount Vision) while others have remained at 120mm travel (Giant Trance [125mm] and Trek Fuel).

What's the difference between these, where / when would I perceive a difference, how big of a difference, what trail types are they best suited for? Or is there practically even a difference?

I know this is an loaded question as there are many other factors that influence overall performance than just fork / shock travel.

As a side note, I'm getting back into biking after 10 years and plan to be riding in the foothills of the Rockies (Calgary, Alberta) that will have a lot of varied terrain. I'm currently thinking about the Stumpjumper (140mm) and Giant Trance X2 (125mm). I'm really trying to decide if the different travel on these 2 bikes should factor into my decision. I'm eaqually concerned about bob free climbing as descending.

Thanks
    Dan
    ps - This is my first post. I'm not sure if it's even in the proper forum. Please forgive me if it's not

mtbr member
    IMO, you should focus more on geometry than travel when the difference in travel is so negligible.
    Nobody cares...........

T.W.O.
    In general, if you have a short travel fork you kinda have to choose if you want to be firm or plush, as there's not enough range to accommodate both. Typically, 80mm fork fit the bill.

On a 140mm fork, you can have both, plush and sensitive at the beginning of the stroke and great mid stroke feel and nice ramp up toward the bottom of the stroke. Since there's more range to work with.

I do agree that Geometry is more important than the difference. Both your bike choices are great s it's up to how you like them when you test ride, choose the one you like best.

Have fun shopping

Members who have read this thread: 0