Decent Winter Commuting Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Decent Winter Commuting Bike?

I just moved close enough to work that I can ride bike every day. I have no issues riding my Gary Fisher Jousha XO1 in the summer, but I don't want to in the winter. I was considering a Mongoose Dolmite, which I feel will do what I need it to, i.e. a 10 block ride to work in snowy & icy MN winters. Am I wrong in thinking this? I know it isn't a great bike and wouldn't be any good offroad, but as I'm looking at buying it to commute I don't care about that. I would be open to other bikes, but I think the most I can convince my wife to let me send is around $500 which I know limit any possibilities.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    I just moved close enough to work that I can ride bike every day. I have no issues riding my Gary Fisher Jousha XO1 in the summer, but I don't want to in the winter. I was considering a Mongoose Dolmite, which I feel will do what I need it to, i.e. a 10 block ride to work in snowy & icy MN winters. Am I wrong in thinking this? I know it isn't a great bike and wouldn't be any good offroad, but as I'm looking at buying it to commute I don't care about that. I would be open to other bikes, but I think the most I can convince my wife to let me send is around $500 which I know limit any possibilities.
    Take some of that $500 bucks to buy some studs...

I ride a RMB Element FS all year round the higher end parts last relatively well....several and more years....I have a buddy who rides a beater..he is lucky to get one hard cold salty winter per bike.

Studs make it safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Take some of that $500 bucks to buy some studs...

I ride a RMB Element FS all year round the higher end parts last relatively well....several and more years....I have a buddy who rides a beater..he is lucky to get one hard cold salty winter per bike.

Studs make it safe.
    Or studs, rear derailleur, brakes, brake levers & shifters (everything I transferred from my Pacific when I build my Gary Fisher since I was in college & low on cash).