Is this a decent bike frame from performance bike?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    984

    Is this a decent bike frame from performance bike?

    Ascent Aluminum Mountain Bike Frame - Mountain Bike Frames

    i'm looking to swap out my 08 c'dale f5 frame and thought this might be better.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    984
    lots of views but nothing? anyone?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    193

    A lot for too little.

    Look around Nashbar has sales every other week for $99. Check Qbike.com too.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    Ascent Aluminum Mountain Bike Frame - Mountain Bike Frames

    i'm looking to swap out my 08 c'dale f5 frame and thought this might be better.
    probably a lateral move at best. Why do you want to swap frames? Does the old one not fit right? Or is it broken?

    Personally, I like this one better, if you're going to buy a frame from Performance

    Access XCL Comp Mountain Bike Frame - All Frames On Sale

    Of course, it's more expensive.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Morpheous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    497

    ... and if we just ...

    Do you like pissing blood or something? Jebus man get a suspension bike for off road....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94

    how about this?

    I have two hardtail frames.Personally I prefer an aluminum frame at about the three pound range and with no ugly V- brake bosses, I am done with v brakes did you notice they do not list the weight? I bet its well over four Lbs. have you considered a 29er frame from sette? Sette Frames -Razzo Raw Frame or a Sette 26" frame? Sette Bikes -Derro One Frame I am not a Sette employee you may be disappointed with the frame you are considering or those like it, they all come from the same chinese factory.It would be a downgrade compared to the F5 frame.My two hardtail frames are upper end Chinese frames that retailed for about $300.00 and I can assure you they are a quality product, China is building some decent frames.
    Last edited by tucoramirez; 10-21-2012 at 10:10 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tucoramirez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Do you like pissing blood or something? Jebus man get a suspension bike for off road....
    The F5 has front suspension

  8. #8
    enjoying the scenery
    Reputation: danec99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    318
    Better? I doubt it. Better in what way? The Performance/Nashbar frames are cool for inexpensive aluminum frames. I have the more basic Performance model and have no complaints, it's an AL hardtail and rides like such. I like hardtails, and I tend to prefer the stiffness of AL. And an AL hardtail is an AL hardtail - I cannot see how the frame you are looking at would be any better. Nice choice of photos, stolen bike registry!
    Your F5 is a lower end bike, X5 and an RST fork. You can easily improve this bike by upgrading parts, the frame is fine. A fork (RS Reba or similar) would lighten and feel much nicer. A lighter wheelset would do wonders as well. That Alpha is probably a bit heavy as well. These are more costly changes, but most companies frames are the same, it is the bits they put on them that raise the price.

    But again, what defines better to you?
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by danec99 View Post
    Better? I doubt it. Better in what way? The Performance/Nashbar frames are cool for inexpensive aluminum frames. I have the more basic Performance model and have no complaints, it's an AL hardtail and rides like such. I like hardtails, and I tend to prefer the stiffness of AL. And an AL hardtail is an AL hardtail - I cannot see how the frame you are looking at would be any better. Nice choice of photos, stolen bike registry!
    Your F5 is a lower end bike, X5 and an RST fork. You can easily improve this bike by upgrading parts, the frame is fine. A fork (RS Reba or similar) would lighten and feel much nicer. A lighter wheelset would do wonders as well. That Alpha is probably a bit heavy as well. These are more costly changes, but most companies frames are the same, it is the bits they put on them that raise the price.

    But again, what defines better to you?
    Do you have the Performance Access frame that's currently being sold by Performance?
    If so, I believe you have what may be referred to as a "sleeper".
    Those frames are better than a lot of people know.
    I'm not an expert, but as far as cost and weight is concerned, i'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find something better.
    The Razzo is good too, I think, and the Performance XCL Comp 26er and the Access XCL 9r are both really good frames IMO. People will figure they're just cheap knock=off house-brand frames, but I believe they are more than a litlle bit better than that.
    ...And anybody interested in them.....once the current stock performance has is gone, i'm not sure they will be coming back.
    ...i'm glad I got mine.
    ...i got a Zaskar 26er frame too.
    And guess what?
    The Access XcL Comp 26er frame is right up there with it.
    It's a 2009 Zaskar....lighter than the XCL Comp, but not world's lighter.
    Dunno about the Ascent frame performance sells....but I bet it's not as good as the Access frames.
    ...OP-save your receipt, get an Access frame, and be pleasantly surprised.You won't need a refund.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.