Deal on a Dragon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Deal on a Dragon

I can get a 11 Dragon 29 Sport for around $900. Would appreciate any opinions and feedback whether its worth it and on the bike itself. Im also looking at the 12 Trek Superfly AL (totally different animal i know) that i can get for around $1600. Really dont know what to do! Help me please!

Titanium junkie
    Well, as there is a price difference between the two, and it sounds like
    you can afford ether one, what one do you like best?
    The spec on both are close, so to me it boils down to the one you are
    drawn to more.Keep in mind Steel frames are not as numbing to ride as Aluminum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    CyclesnlPAs, I have two 29er Dragons both 09's a single speed and the geared, if you can throw a leg over the Dragon and check the stand over clearance there probably is not going to be to much VS the Superfly I am 5'11" and the bikes are 19". Stand over is not a concern to me even for the trails I ride on in PA with all the rocks, although this could be a issue for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for your replies. Ive actually thrown a leg over both. The Dragon is a 19" the superfly a 17.5. Im still torn though as i like them both. Im kinda leaning towards the superfly for its lighter weight (Im coming from a 25lb 26" al hardtail) and fox fork as oppose to the dragons heavier rockshock tora shod steal frame. Is the steal frames ride worth dismissing the al superflys lighter weight and supposedly harsher ride? Should i take advantage of the Dragons lower price and invest in a lighter set of wheels and fork? Ugh this hard.

Titanium junkie
    There is no right and wrong here, but I will tell you that Steel is not as harsh as
    Aluminum when riding. You could get some fairly nice wheels and fork for the money
    you would save.
    Whatever you get, enjoy it and keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Are you going to race this bike, I think my geared Dragon weighs like 28 pounds I not sure the weight of the Superfly, I went with steel for the durability can not say much about the ride VS aluminum although at 47 my body is sore on some days HAHA. Have a blast with your choice once you buy it.

Members who have read this thread: 0