Days away from buying a Blur but have last minute questions.- Mtbr.com
    The Top Cap Guy

Days away from buying a Blur but have last minute questions.

OK - a little history. I bought a new 03 Heckler last spring and liked it alot (was on a NRS). It was super comfy, and it road over anything in the trail. Now I'm not a drop off rider or extreme in any sense of the word, but I was just more confident on the bike and I road better. Plus it was smooth, and I efficient - and I liked it over the NRS I had. Well I also bought a boutique rigid Ti Singlespeed last year and got hooked. But the problem lies in the fact that I ride the SS 90% of the time and then when I jump on the Heckler with 5" of travel in the front and back I'm not liking it... kind of missing the NRS (in the weight categoty mainly). My SS weighs in at 19 lbs and the Heckler is a stout 30.5lbs. Quite a noticable difference. I like the Blur's. Is there any other frame I should consider in the $1500 and less price range??? Just want to make sure I'm not over looking anything. The biggest thing about the Heckler is that it is just too big of a bike for me - meaning I'll never use it to it's designed potential. I think that was more wishful thinking.

Thanks for any opinions!

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Peace & Love

You bet...

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    OK - a little history. I bought a new 03 Heckler last spring and liked it alot (was on a NRS). It was super comfy, and it road over anything in the trail. Now I'm not a drop off rider or extreme in any sense of the word, but I was just more confident on the bike and I road better. Plus it was smooth, and I efficient - and I liked it over the NRS I had. Well I also bought a boutique rigid Ti Singlespeed last year and got hooked. But the problem lies in the fact that I ride the SS 90% of the time and then when I jump on the Heckler with 5" of travel in the front and back I'm not liking it... kind of missing the NRS (in the weight categoty mainly). My SS weighs in at 19 lbs and the Heckler is a stout 30.5lbs. Quite a noticable difference. I like the Blur's. Is there any other frame I should consider in the $1500 and less price range??? Just want to make sure I'm not over looking anything. The biggest thing about the Heckler is that it is just too big of a bike for me - meaning I'll never use it to it's designed potential. I think that was more wishful thinking.

Thanks for any opinions!

FF
    Since you mention weight yet, the bike I would get, hands-down, is the Yeti 575. This bike is getting great reviews by people I have a lot of respect for. The bike is incredible looking and Yeti is an awesome company. Basically, you are going to get a bike that weighs just a tad over 6 lbs but has 5.75" travel, even more than the Heckler. The retail of the frame is only $1399 and I am sure you can get better than retail. This would be the perfect trailbike for someone who wants a light bike but wants all the benefit of more travel. I personally dont like the geometry of the Blur at all and much prefer that of the 575. I think there is no question, at least in my mind.

Lazy People Suck
    I think the Blur would seem to be better suited to Ohio than the Heckler as far as feeling more efficient. I haven't posted about it, but I bought a RacerX about a month ago and built it up as a trail bike with a Noleen Mega Air 100mm fork and have really been liking it. The rear suspension really does a good job at just making the bumps go away while still feeling efficient and I cannot say enough good things about the Noleen either. Its probably 25 lbs or so.

I can say that I still like my Scalpel better as a race bike. The Racer X feels really good on slower twisty technical stuff, but the combination of a little longer wheelbase and the Fatty Ultra fork just makes the Scalpel feel dead solid when riding at the limits. The Scalpel just seems to say "Lets go faster" where the RacerX is a little more nervous at higher speeds, probably due to the shorter wheelbase and slightly steeper head angle.

I think a Racer X with a 100mm fork is a great combo for a trailbike. I picked up my 2001 RacerX for $550 in the mtbr classifieds (really great condition also) and the Noleen for $99.00.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I think you'll be pretty happy with the Blur as a trail bike.
    It'll be a lot lighter than your Heckler and will pedal much better.
    Which Rear shock are you considering?

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    I think you'll be pretty happy with the Blur as a trail bike.
    It'll be a lot lighter than your Heckler and will pedal much better.
    Which Rear shock are you considering?
    I was thinking the 5th Air shock - the store I'll get it at stands behind the bikes no problem - they switched 2 springs on my Heckler (5th Coil) until I was happy (a month and 6 weeks after the sale).

FF

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    No question the Blur is a great bike.

I was going to buy a Heckler until I spent a day on one in Downieville last summer. Found it was to close to my other bike, a Bullit.

Bought a Blur and couldn't be happier.

Check out some of the Blur threads on the SC board for other opinions.

The Top Cap Guy
    ok - new bump in the road - my buddy at the LBS said he can get me a hook up deal on a NRS Carbon. Cheaper than the choices so far... and I've had one before (2001 NRS1). The fit was great but the RS Sid shock drove me nuts, and that's fixed with the Fox AVA shock. So what to do now?

FF

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Are you going to Ride or Race?
    ....I'd lean to the Fox High Volume shock for a Blur too btw......
    NRS - Race bike to me
    Blur - Fun, Trailbike yet still Race worthy. Hell, Mark Weir scored 18th in the Pro XC at Sea Otter on one. I think you know which way I lean...