dawg vs. trance- Mtbr.com

Thread: dawg vs. trance

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

dawg vs. trance

Do you think that the tried and true kona 4 bar walking beam suspension is camparable to the new maestro suspenion from giant. I have heard great things on the local trail about the trance and everyone that has one loves it. A lot of guys also ride dawgs and also love them. Both bike feel good to me so that doesn't work to be a deciding factor. ( The kikapu doesn't feel as good as the dawg.) I a really wondering which suspenion might be better. Kona seems to have a larger following than giant if that accounts for any thing?
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    any opinions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do an Advanced Search.

I'm sure these bikes have been discussed several times so people who have contributed don't want to re-type everything again. I'd personally go with a Trance if I had to choose one of these two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Tough decision... I should know...

Depending on the versions you are comparing the Dawg may have a slight advantage on paper. Right away the Dawg has 5" vs. 4" of travel and I can tell you the Dawg is extremely stable though the rough, awsome on decents and climbs pretty well too. I looked at the Trance when I bought my Dawg but I wanted the longer travel and the Dawg Dee-Lux was a full Fox suspension which swayed me as well. I like the Maestro suspension but the Faux bar with the platform RP3 works just fine for me. Best way to tell what will suit you best is to sling a leg over them and test ride as much as you can. Either way you really can't go wrong. Good luck with it.
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You must remember the Dawg is an all mountain bike while the Trance is XC so they are designed for different types of riding. The reign is more all mountain and still has the maestro suspension and the kikapu is more xc with the 4 bar.

I got the Dawg over the Reign

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JKWITS
    You must remember the Dawg is an all mountain bike while the Trance is XC so they are designed for different types of riding. The reign is more all mountain and still has the maestro suspension and the kikapu is more xc with the 4 bar.

I got the Dawg over the Reign
    Yes, I agree the Dawg vs. Trance is a bit Apples vs. Oranges. But then the Reign is a 6" travel bike so now we have a bit of Banana in the mix. This should go back to the beginning and look at the main objective. What type of riding do you want to do and what terrain type will you be tackling? As for the Faux bar vs. Maestro I personally think there is a pinch of marketing hype on the Maestro side. No system does everything great and Iv'e read guys take shots at both systems. Platform valved shocks add a level of control and efficiency to the Faux bar. I wouldn't ride a bike without that adjustability now that I own it. This may come down to a bang for the buck excercise. What two versions are you considering or what is your top line in terms of spending?
    Try to pick out anything by itself and you find it connected to the entire universe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    first to JKWITS I am considering both these bikes because the the two LBS suggested them. the giant dealer says the trance is perfect for the local trails. and the kona dealer says the dawg is perfect for the local trails. Actually the employees in teh giant shop ride trances, and the employees in the kona shop all ride dawgs. really other than the 1" of travel difference the bikes are not all tha different. both are "trail bikes" . really the dawg is not intended to be a freeride machine, just long travel xc. even though it looks like a freeride bike from not too long ago. The kikipu feels to xc racey to me.the trance seems to feel more like the dawg.

and to LeopardDog I cant say that I have bought into the maestro suspension hype totally , but when I pedalled the bike in the woods it felt great minimal bob yet still plush. about the finacial aspect, the less I spend the better. I can buy a left over trance 4 put avid disc brakes on it and a good fork ( revalation, vanilla?) for less than I could buy a 2007 dawg or a 2006 dawg deluxe for.'06 dawg seems a bit heavy and i would not have any extra cash to lighten it up. As for type of riding , well I live in FL so no real climbs or decents just a lot of VERY rooty and rocky ,tight and twisty trails. most drops are 1-3 feet maybe a few here and there that are bigger if ya want to hit 'em.

Thanks a lot fellas

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    any more input?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

had a Trek Liquid, have a Reign...

there is no comparison- acceleration, tracking the ground, climbing square-edged hits, handling, etc , - the Reign blows it away. The Liquid (with the seat-stay pivots is similar to the Kona) was a fun bike, but the Reign is the latest, greatest, and with the clearance deals on the 05s, nothing can touch them...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    dumper, I konw you ride a reign ,but would you go with the 4.2 " trance over the 5" dawg due to the performance of the maestro suspension? if you had the two to choose from. sound like you get a lot more performance out of your maestro bike vs, your old faux bar design.

Thanks

Tdub

Good job! Trance Wins

I bought the Trance 2 after reading repeatedly about it as the 4" Trail bike of the year in '05. I'm very happy and have made recommendations to several friends who've compared and gone the similar route. If you look at travel, weight, components and angles of the two bikes, virtually nothing gives you as much as the Trance. Sadly, the Giant reps are being pulled from many LBS's and the brand is finding itself in a strange position without a lot of representation at least here locally in AZ. For that reason only would I consider the Kona, who seem to be more up and coming with their sponsorships and presence in the local market place. Maestro is awesome, does everything it's supposed to and more.....you can't go wrong with the Trance.
    "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"-Vincent Van Gogh

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what kind of riding do you do, and how comfortable a ride

Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    dumper, I konw you ride a reign ,but would you go with the 4.2 " trance over the 5" dawg due to the performance of the maestro suspension? if you had the two to choose from. sound like you get a lot more performance out of your maestro bike vs, your old faux bar design.

Thanks
    do you like? If most riding you do is XC, fast fire roads and rollys, I would buy the Trance any day. If you ride anything beyond this, or think you might some day, buy a Reign, oops, you asked me about the Trance. I test rode a Trance several times, and was going to buy one, and at the last minute, decided to test ride a Reign 3 (the $999 '05 special). It made the Trance feel like a hardtail, and it was only about a pound heavier for the complete bike, and it was cheaper! The Kona is a fun bike, but I find it to be sluggish off the line, and a little heavy feeling. It also weighs more than the Reign. I ride a 15" Reign- it has a 21" top tube and a 43.5" wheelbase, and a 69 degree head angle- it rockets off the line and is very stable at speed- everything I wanted in a small frame ( I am 5-6")
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0