damaged frame - how to repair?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

damaged frame - how to repair?

hi,
    this is my 1st post on this forum, so 1st i want to say hallo to everyone.

i have a problem with Canyon Nerve AM. Rear triangle cracked, and it looks like a bad design problem (i found more canyon's cracked in the same place). However, even though this bike is only few months old, because i'm second owner i formally don't have any warranty, and i haven't got any response for my e-mails from the factory...
    ok, however : i need to fix it really quick - i'm going on 400 km bike trip next week and i need to repair the damage.
    i thought about using JB-Weld there, because i don't tkink traditional welding is possible in this case. Is it possible / safe to repair this crack using JB Weld?

i will also replace 180mm with 160 mm rotor on the back side, because i think that braking power caused this failure...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You may be able to fix it with JB weld, but you have no way of knowing how strong the repair is. You would be better off buying a new swing arm.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    JB weld won't begin to fix this. I had something similar happen to my old Schwinn Carbon S. I had it welded, then the bolt journal redrilled. It's held fine for the last 3 years until I gave the bike to a buddy. He rode it for a year with no problem.

A good weld shop should be able to fix it with little trouble. A good TIG weld on the outside might be a bit ugly, but it'll most likely hold it just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    JB weld won't begin to fix this. I had something similar happen to my old Schwinn Carbon S. I had it welded, then the bolt journal redrilled. It's held fine for the last 3 years until I gave the bike to a buddy. He rode it for a year with no problem.

A good weld shop should be able to fix it with little trouble. A good TIG weld on the outside might be a bit ugly, but it'll most likely hold it just fine.
    I agree here. Weld, reinforce with another piece of aluminum and weld again.

i would also look into buying a new rear triangle if its available.

mtbr member
    NO to JB weld.

try here
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ultimately, i want new swing arm for this frame. I thought about JB Weld as a temporary solution, since i have already paid for accomodations for my trip.

best regards

banned
    Apr 2010
    Buy a new stay from Canyon. However, if you're in the EU, even if you're the second owner, you get the balance of the warranty. That is law.

local trails rider
    I would not use that for your trip. Unless you are really lucky, you cannot get a replacement part in time. I hear Canyon is not fast to ship things.

Can you get a different bike for your trip?

The "Statutory Guarantee" is 24 months from the date of delivery. Canyons Warranty for the original owner is better than that.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/terms_conditions.html

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

DynoDon
    That looks like a design flaw, and if more bikes are breaking there it probably is, the design caused that, not the brakes, I'd weld that one, and reinforce it, while you're at it do the others too, you'll have a stronger unit that won't have to be repaired every two months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    no i don't have any other bike for that trip. i talked to other polish owner of Canyon which was broken the same way, and he's still waiting for response.
    In his case crack happened 3 months after purchase, and he's riding this bike daily for last 1,5 month with 3 trips to mountains with no further effect on the crack.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Complain on the German bike forums. At the least, Canyon should be able to sell you a part.

These are the pitfalls of buying direct. Typically, they are ok, but when you need help, not even a bike shop can help you, and on top of that, Europe's rentals are many times Canyons...

If you weld, it will need a heat treatment, which not many in Europe will do, even if they claim they will.

My bet for you is to search ebay for another frame to get through the vacation, or rent.

The thing in your favor is that Canyon at least made it bolt on from both sides, so there is a lot of redundancy, but now one side is taking much of the load it wasn't designed for, so take your chances, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    unfortunately my german language skills are very poor so i couldn't write there.
    i will probably buy another frame, probably BMC Trailfox... i hope that my 150 mm Talas won't be to high for this frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0