mtbr member
    Jul 2008

CX wheels on my 29er or just get a second bike?

I've never owned or really ridden a proper road bike with drop bars. So thats probably the main reason I am looking for opinions. Wonder if I should get another wheel set for my MTB or just get another bike.

I have a 08' GF Paragon 29er which is kind of a race XC. I converted it to 1x, weighs about 23lb. I love the bike and during the summer I ride it a few times a week at my local singletrack (Palos). Bit of a daredevil and hard on it, allot of locals are using full sys / more durable bikes. I'm a light guy so maybe thats why it holds up. People have told me this is a good bike to use for road/cyclo with another wheel set being lightweight 29er. The other thing is I run platform pedals - I have a set of clipless pedals and shoes but like platform for mtb since I can be more risky that way.

Of course the trails are wet sometimes and I still want to get out so I've been wanting a road/cyclocross bike or another wheel set for a years now. Sometimes take my bike out on the pavement and I hate running mtb tires on the pavement - kinda drives me nuts its allot harder to pedal then it should be and I feel like I'm just wearing my nice tires.

I also have a trainer I hardly ever use because I only have one wheel set and constantly swapping tires to put on the trainer is too much of a pain during mtb season.

I heard that I should use the same wheel/cassette setup so that gear adjustment, rotors etc all line up the same when swapping wheels?

Should I just spend a little more and have another bike for road use? Is drop bars going to be more comfortable and that much better with aero? I can also use the clipless for road that way.

I have some gravel paths and grass i would probably cut through so I would get cross tires for riding around - so either way I'd have to get yet another wheel for the trainer if I want to ride that at the same time.

Anyway thanks for any advise you can give.
    Last edited by pepsican; 03-27-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I would say either get an old road bike (my first one was under $100) and give it a try, or get a cross bike and have two sets of tires for it.

Alternately, I (like you) wanted to work on fitness when the trails were unridable, so I bought slicks for the MTB. It worked just fine but I ran out of gears fairly easily.

I know that isn't the one sided Black and White answer your were looking for. I now have a SS road bike for around town, and a SS cross bike I pound hills, gravel, and singletrack on. I love my cross bike, great for mixed surface rides.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    well first off you can never have too many bikes. I would look for an old road bike. I bought one from a friend for $100. It is an older specialized allez. drop bars are strange at first. I also have a SS CX bike with flat bars out of an old GT townie bike.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OneSpeed Did you get another set of wheels for the slicks - If you did and the wheels are not the same does everything line up without tweaking rear shiftier cable or anything?

Wanna ride bikes?
    No I swapped just the tires. It was a XC hardtail with relatively narrow rims (27mm) and I used 35c slicks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Put some narrower, faster tires on your current bike. That might be a hassle if you're tubeless.

The cost of buying a new set of wheels, rotors, tires, casette, etc for your bike is going to rival the cost of another bike. Some people like riding their moutain bikes on the road and tame gravel bike paths. I find it tolerable, but I prefer a cyclocross/ gravel bike for that sort of thing.

BTW, I don't know where you got the term "cyclo" but unless that is some new term that I have not picked up on yet, I think you mean cyclocross or CX. Most cyclocross bikes use a 700c wheel, which is the same thing as a 29er wheel. 29er usually means fatter tires and wider rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is tubeless and too much of a pain, and the expense of wheels+cassette+rotors etc is why I have been putting off buying another set for so long.

Other suggestions to just get a cheap road bike for $100 or something seems valid. I was looking on craigslist but I think its impossible for me to pull the trigger on something with threaded headset. Maybe just to use on my trainer. I figure by the time I put better tires, good brake pads that will work alright when wet etc on a cheap bike it will be counter productive.

Probably better spending 1000 on a slightly used or old stock new bike and loosing 200 if I dont get into it and sell it vs. spending 200 upgrading a old bike to make it acceptable.

And I just made cyclo up I only know mtb stuff lol - CX then!
    Last edited by pepsican; 03-27-2018 at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I do the spare wheels. I like it.

You can get cassette/ rotor spacers too fix any differences and to make swap in/out easy.

Takes a Saturday morning to adjust everything right.

I use a cheap and smaller range cassette on the narrow wheels.

I spin out at about 25-30mph, but it's still plenty to put a hurt on most roadies if I'm so inclined. I think I put a 34 tooth chainring on it to help. 34/42 on the trail wheels is still fine for me.

I use a race King 2.0 rear and x King 2.2 front, performance, tubeless. Handles light trail riding and roads.

Did 55 miles with 5k climbing on the road last weekend. Going to do a local century ride in a couple months.

When I want to ride, I always grabbed my MTB. So it works for me. It is less efficient, but it's the one I want to ride, so who cares?

It also takes self acknowledgement that I'm a kook.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thx tfinator! Good to know some some prefer the flat bars. Starting to think I might because I do like to goof around so being on mtb has its advantages in the fun department.

Hadn't even considered gearing until you brought it up. Might be a issue for me because I'm still on a 9 speed 1x11-34 and its the biggest cog the derailleur can handle. I went with 30 chainring and I can just barely pedal up the steepest local hills as it is, so I can't go bigger without changing my cassette.

The setup is perfect for the trails I never spin out and all 9 gears get used. But can spin out on the road even with off road tires They do have those 11-40 9 speed cassette now if I put a RoadLink hanger on - but gaps would be bigger like I'm on a 8 speed setup in the trails Hrmm... Guess I'll have to think about this more.

Edit: Wish I could get a 13-40 cassette! I'd put that on the singletrack wheels and put 11-26 DH cassette on road wheels. Then i could get full use of all 9 gears with a 36T chainring in both setups. Even if I got a 10-11speed setup I would never end up using the smallest gear on the cassette for singletrack once I put a larger chainring on, waste of weight and money having to upgrade to more gears.
    Last edited by pepsican; 03-27-2018 at 06:38 PM.