Cut Steerer w/ Pipe Cutter?- Mtbr.com
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Cut Steerer w/ Pipe Cutter?

Is this ok to use? What is the best way to correctly drop the star nut squarely without overdoing it with basic tools?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn't. Pipe cutters tend to roll the edge in and could make it difficult to get the star nut started. Use a fine toothed hacksaw and touch it up with a file.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have used one in a pinch and it worked just had to file the inside edge a bit to allow for the star nut.
    Though it does give a nice flat cut!
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

The White Jeff W
    I've always cut mine with a pipe cutter with no issues. Just clean up the inside with a file and you're good to go.
    No moss...

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    absolutely nothing wrong with using a pipe cutter

How about lowering the star nut in straight?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

dirtbag
    I've been using a pipe cutter on my fork steer tubes. Makes a nice clean cut, just follow it up by cleaning up and smoothing out the inside to the tube. I've tried once using a hacksaw but the cut wasn't square and straight. For installing a star nut, I use a star nut install tool that I got from Performance. Installs the star nut straight and at the proper depth.
    Amolan

Ok, whats a decent way to drive the star nut in without the costly, one-time-use tool???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    How about lowering the star nut in straight?

Most star nuts come with a plastic one use insert tool.....it has worked fine for me every time...

If you don't have one an LBS should.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The top-cap and bolt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been using a pipe cutter on my steerers (both aluminum and steel) with no problems. Nice clean straight cuts and no deforming of the steerer. Just be patient though and don't rush it.

Unless you're absolutely certain you will never install another star nut, I'd suggest buying one of the cheaper tools. I use the one from Pricepoint http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/146...Nut-Setter.htm
    There are a lot of alternate ways to install a star nut with existing stuff you have laying around (there have been many threads on this), but star nuts can occasionally be stubborn and it can be real aggravating when you're excited to try out your new fork and the star nut won't cooperate. Especially if you totally trash the star nut, and don't have a spare. For $12, the tool is worth it.

I've never gotton a "plastic one use insert tool" with my star nuts or headsets, so unless you know what brands Jeffscott is buying, don't assume you'll get one.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Dirt Deviant
    I use a cassette lockring tool. And tap it in with a hammer. Drives it in nice, but you do need to take your time and use some common sense....= )
    I find the spin doctor or ice toolz tool works better than the park version, as the park version has a wider back end that won't fit inside of the steerer tube.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I've never gotton a "plastic one use insert tool" with my star nuts or headsets, so unless you know what brands Jeffscott is buying, don't assume you'll get one.

Point is an LBS probably will have several of these lying around...

I got it with my FSA Pig headsets.

and I am pretty sure I got it with the star-nut of that came with my 2007 fork.

Bike Addiction
    Do not use the top cap bolt! It will bend easily. Uhhumm.... trust me on this one.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable
    Do not use the top cap bolt! It will bend easily. Uhhumm.... trust me on this one.

Done it dozens of times. It's fine if you're careful.

aka bOb
    I have used a socket. Sorry if it's improper but it got the job done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I use Quarters to set my star nut. Push the Star nut in a little, then start stacking the quarters in then put a wood blocking between the quarter and the hammer. The quarter will also help with the depth.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Point is an LBS probably will have several of these lying around...

I got it with my FSA Pig headsets.

and I am pretty sure I got it with the star-nut of that came with my 2007 fork.

I work in a LBS and never seen one of these. Even with all the headsets I've installed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've installed a star nut using just about every method, and using the right tool is a nice luxury I choose to afford myself. I'm partial to the Sette one, as it guides nicely and is very affordable:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/146...Nut-Setter.htm

Also, I'm a fan of using a pipe cutter, but please don't buy the uber cheap one at the hardware store. Paying a little more for a nice one will pay dividends over time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Ok, whats a decent way to drive the star nut in without the costly, one-time-use tool???
    I've been doing this for years and it works great....; get a longer bolt for the star nut with a large flat head and thread several nuts on it until only about a half inch is left exposed. I use lock tight and get the nuts really tight. The nuts make the bolt stronger and the big head is good for your hammer; now you have a star nut setting tool you can use for a long time.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ml9573
    I use Quarters to set my star nut. Push the Star nut in a little, then start stacking the quarters in then put a wood blocking between the quarter and the hammer. The quarter will also help with the depth.
    Woah! Points for the most creative hack I've read about in a long time. I like it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Use a tubing cutter, not a pipe cutter.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride
    Use a tubing cutter, not a pipe cutter.
    Use a hacksaw, no rolled edges
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Screwdriver to install a star nut. One with a blade thin enough to pass through the threads up to the handle. The handle rests on the flanges and if the handle is just the right size it guides the star nut into the tube nice and straight.

Wēk Ss
    tube cutters are fine, as is a hacksaw. both need filing after. the tube cutter has a cleaner edge.

screwdriver for the star nut, or a long threaded rod screwed in from the bottom. The long part of the threaded rod on the bottom. Slide it into the steerer and pull the star nut in from the bottom. Use a large washer and a nut at the bottom and use the steerer tube itself as leverage. This is a basic press.

There are dozens of ways to skin this cat. All of them work. Use what you feel comfortable with.

mtbr member
    I've used a pipe cutter... Worked fine with minor cleanup. I've also used both a hacksaw and a bandsaw... Also worked fine, mainly because I used a stationary belt sander to square up the end when I was done, and then minor cleanup. I've always used the cap screw to install the star nut and never bent one. Thread the screw in as far as is reasonable, then tap it in slowly, gently, and squarely. Works for me.
    Jack

'95 Independent Fabrication Deluxe
    '96 Voodoo Bizango
    '08 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR Team
    '92 Trek 930 SHX

Members who have read this thread: 21