Cup and Cone or Cartridge?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Cup and Cone or Cartridge?

Ok so overhauling my bike i obviously took the bottom bracket out to clean. It is a cup and cone and seems to be in good condition apart from the caged bearings needing replacing. Question is do i bother getting new bearings or just purchase a cartidge bottom bracket instead.

Advice?

Thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    If the cups and races are in good shape, I'd get new bearings and repack it with a nice waterproof grease.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Slight bit of rust on one race but nothing that i dont think carnt be shifted with some fine steel wool and scrubbing. People say about cartrides being fit and forget. Are there any performance differences or life span beside cup and cone being basically 100% maintainable?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I mean if cup and cone is not going to make much difference, why should i pay more for a cartridge when i can just get the bearings rite?

AZ
    banned
    New bearings , waterproof grease , enjoy the fruits of your labor .

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It depends what you want. Cup and cone bearings tend to run with less drag, but require more maintenance and some models require periodic adjustments, and of course are cheaper. Cartridge bearings are easier to set up and require far less maintenance. Depending on your riding conditions you could go a lifetime without repacking them.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2010
    XC, dirt tracks woodlands etc.

Enthusiast
    I can't really think of a reason other than preference to go either way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Again, it really is a decision you should make for your self. I will tell you personally I run all cartridge bearings, as do almost every new bike on the market. I simply do not feel like cleaning and repacking my bearings every month. Loose, or caged, bearings simply aren't sealed very well and are affected a lot by dirt and water. The downside it a slight increase in drag and cost. So you need to decide if those tradeoffs are worth it for you.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The biggest advantage to cartridge bearings is that the races are part of the cartridge, so if you damage the races you can just replace the cartridge bearing. They are also more convenient to handle and install than loose balls or even caged bearings (though not by much).

However, I do not see them as more durable or "set and forget". They are not truly sealed as some people seem to think. They don't hold much grease and the bearings inside are often smaller than what you would be using with loose balls or caged bearings. You either need to regrease them periodically (as you would with non-cartridge bearings) or you will be replaceing them.

I still have a caged ball bottom bracket that's 30 years old and still going. Will I get 30 years out of cartridge bearings? Time will tell. I will say that over 95% of my biking miles over the years has been on loose-ball hubs, yet the only time I had a hub freeze up on me was one with a cartridge bearing .
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Members who have read this thread: 0