Cracked Kona Process 153- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7

    Cracked Kona Process 153

    Hello All,

    I recently bought a new kona process 153 and after only 6 weeks use the seat stay has cracked, the tyre scuffed the carbon rocker and the maxle has bent. Kona have refused to warranty the frame as its apparently down to rider error despite me having never crashed the bike or even put the rear wheel out of true. Seriously unimpressed and have lost all confidence in the bike.

    Have any of you guys ever seen or experienced a similar failure?
    Picture here:
    https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14802691/

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,077
    These three factors (broken seatstay, scuffed rocker and bent maxle) just suddenly appeared while JRA? Well that certainly seems odd.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    I didn't say I was JRA. I was riding the bike properly at my local trails but I cant pinpoint a certain event that caused it, I just noticed it flexing towards the end of the ride.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    110
    Don't take this wrong, but are you huge?

    That's pretty terrible damage. Good luck with getting it resolved. Sounds like new rear triangle, which is a bummer to have to pay for after only a month and a half. I'm a bit surprised Kona's not interested in warranty replacing this for you.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    I don't consider myself huge... 160lb in riding gear. I've also never cracked a mountain bike frame before either (including an old nukeproof mega which I had for 4 years and rode all over the place, UK French alps etc).

    Thanks. Yea, I'm surprised too.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,202
    It looks like the shear forces were to great for that bend. And given that, that is one questionable design choice with the hydroformed bend into the joint. The bend would then take a large % of the shear forces. SMH at Kona for denying warranty. What is up with the shop not doing anything about it too on a 6 week old bike? I can link those pics to a friend of mine whose a CFD specialists, see what he thinks if you want?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    147
    That's a pretty bad break, has Kona or your shop give you any reasons why they won't warranty it?
    Now that I think about it, is your wheel still true? That would be my indicator for how hard of an impact the bike took. Any hit big enough to crack a frame that burly should have completely destroyed your rear wheel.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    It looks like the shear forces were to great for that bend. And given that, that is one questionable design choice with the hydroformed bend into the joint. The bend would then take a large % of the shear forces. SMH at Kona for denying warranty. What is up with the shop not doing anything about it too on a 6 week old bike? I can link those pics to a friend of mine whose a CFD specialists, see what he thinks if you want?
    Yeah I think you're right although the wall thickness is pretty big and there are a lot of other riders who are heavier and ride harder than I do on these frames. I believe it's a material flaw or manufacturing fault with that stay as the other side seems fine with no deformation or paint cracks. I must have ridden with it cracked for it to open up like that as there is some fretting in the crack. The policy of this (and most uk) shop is to pass all warranty issues through them back to the manufacturer.
    That's a kind offer and if your friend has any comments I'd be interested to hear them.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    That's a pretty bad break, has Kona or your shop give you any reasons why they won't warranty it?
    Now that I think about it, is your wheel still true? That would be my indicator for how hard of an impact the bike took. Any hit big enough to crack a frame that burly should have completely destroyed your rear wheel.
    That was my thinking too. Rear wheel still true and both my ankles are still in one piece!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    147
    There's no way that frame should fail before the stock wheels do. This is the same shop you bought it at that is denying a warranty claim?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    110
    To be clear the scuffed rocker and bent maxle definitely are the result of the failure of the seat stay on one side and the torquing of the wheel.

    Can you get a picture from below the seatstay, and possibly the other side of it? I'd be interested to see the other angles of the failure.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,454
    Big Kona fan here. That should fall under warranty, be the sqeaky wheel, so to speak. Can you get higher up on the chain of command?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    There's no way that frame should fail before the stock wheels do. This is the same shop you bought it at that is denying a warranty claim?
    The stock wheels are tough but I agree with you. Yeah same shop, purchased via mail order.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterBaker View Post
    To be clear the scuffed rocker and bent maxle definitely are the result of the failure of the seat stay on one side and the torquing of the wheel.

    Can you get a picture from below the seatstay, and possibly the other side of it? I'd be interested to see the other angles of the failure.
    That's right, stay must have gone first. I must have ridden with it cracked sand the deflection caused the tyre rub and axle bend.

    Other side here
    https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/14806386/

    Underneath here
    https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/14806382/

Similar Threads

  1. Kona Process 153 2014
    By Prestige in forum Kona
    Replies: 416
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 10:52 AM
  2. 2014 process 153 vs 2015 process 134
    By f0nz0 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  4. '14 Kona Process 153 & '14 Trek Slash 7
    By Cludge in forum 27.5
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 02:59 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM

Members who have read this thread: 9

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.