mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Cracked Cannondale frame after a year--rebuild or cut losses?

So I bought a 2016 Cannondale Beast of the East 2 in May of 2017. Brought it in to the shop for some work last week, and they found a crack at one of the seat tube welds. I'm still waiting to hear back from Cannondale about the warranty claim, but even if they are able to give me an exact replacement (the BOTE has been discontinued, so not a given), I'm having serious doubts about whether to bother rebuilding it on that frame.

I've really liked my BOTE, but cracking after a year?? I mean, I'm a fairly big guy (215#), and I've put some miles on it, but I really don't ride hard. And even if I did...a year? I understand all bikes will fail eventually, but a year is ridiculous.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I assume that my current frame was just an anomalous bad weld, and the replacement will be as durable as any other quality Al frame? Or do I cut my losses and switch to a frame from another manufacturer (the Santa Cruz Chameleon is one that's always had my eye)?

Because if I pay $150 to have this thing rebuilt on a replacement BOTE frame, and then a year later it fails again, I'm going to be reeeeally pissed...

SS Pusher Man
    Even if they don't make your frame anymore......and they do warranty the old frame, they will offer you something comparable. You may even be able to ask for something specific.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    That's part of the problem...there isn't really anything comparable in their lineup anymore.

The closest thing is the Cujo but, for one, it's got different geometries (not for the better IMO). Two, the price point on the Cujo range is ~40% less than BOTE, so I assume lower-quality materials and/or craftsmanship (although not necessarily, could just be a function of the other components).

Third, and probably the biggest issue, is not all of the components would be compatible. My BOTE has Cannondale proprietary Ai offset cranks and chainring, whereas the Cujo doesn't. Also my BOTE has a non-Boost rear while the Cujo is Boost. That means I'd have to buy, at a minimum, new cranks and chainring, and pay to have my rear wheel re-dished, and buy a boostinator. There's probably close to $300 (plus the money I'll have to pay to get it stripped and rebuilt) all to end up with an inferior bike.

They could offer me some sort of "credit" to upgrade to the Bad Habit, which is essentially the full-sus version of my BOTE, but that would mean shelling out a whole bunch more money, and I don't have any interest in the BH anyway.

mtbr member
    Cannondale should take care of that.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

SS Pusher Man
    A friend of mine broke a Salsa frame a year and a half ago. Salsa no longer offered that frame, didnít realky have anything close as a comparable....so they gave him shop credit for the cost of the frame. The LBs he was dealing with helped him out on the cost of a replacement frame from another manufacturer. In the end, he was about about $100.

So Salsa paid him to ride a Santa Cruz.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    there are two Cannondale aluminum hardtail frames hanging up in my local shop. they belonged to the same rider, who probably weighs 150 pounds. he's on the third one now and seems to go through them once a year.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-23-2018 at 09:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    there are two Cannondale frames hanging up in my local shop. they belonged to the same rider, who probably weighs 150 pounds. he's on the third one now and seems to go through them once a year.
    Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of. Were they Al?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    A friend of mine broke a Salsa frame a year and a half ago. Salsa no longer offered that frame, didnít realky have anything close as a comparable....so they gave him shop credit for the cost of the frame. The LBs he was dealing with helped him out on the cost of a replacement frame from another manufacturer. In the end, he was about about $100.

So Salsa paid him to ride a Santa Cruz.
    Well that would be sweet. Hopefully Cannondale's customer service is as good as Salsa's...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    So I bought a 2016 Cannondale Beast of the East 2 in May of 2017. Brought it in to the shop for some work last week, and they found a crack at one of the seat tube welds. I'm still waiting to hear back from Cannondale about the warranty claim, but even if they are able to give me an exact replacement (the BOTE has been discontinued, so not a given), I'm having serious doubts about whether to bother rebuilding it on that frame.

I've really liked my BOTE, but cracking after a year?? I mean, I'm a fairly big guy (215#), and I've put some miles on it, but I really don't ride hard. And even if I did...a year? I understand all bikes will fail eventually, but a year is ridiculous.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes? Should I assume that my current frame was just an anomalous bad weld, and the replacement will be as durable as any other quality Al frame? Or do I cut my losses and switch to a frame from another manufacturer (the Santa Cruz Chameleon is one that's always had my eye)?

Because if I pay $150 to have this thing rebuilt on a replacement BOTE frame, and then a year later it fails again, I'm going to be reeeeally pissed...
    I have broken two Cannondale frames though I do not believe that this speaks to quality as I have seen plenty of broken frames from other manufacturers as well. The first exchange before the company was sold to Dorel was ok, the second one not so much. It felt like they were doing me a favor by honoring their warranty. Also do not let them pawn off an inferior frame on you just because it is similar. I made that mistake and still regret it. It should be like for like or higher.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Curious as to what happened with this.
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Cannondale did send me a new BOTE frame but I decided it wasn't worth the risk of having to go through this all again in a year so I rebuilt on a Chameleon frame. Of course as it was being built the Carr fire came through and destroyed literally all 120+ miles of trail in my town, so I've only gotten to ride it a couple times. So far I love it though.

I still have that replacement BOTE frame they sent (the blue BOTE 1 model). I'm trying to sell it, along with the cranks, chaining, derailleur hanger, brake hanger, headset, and bottom bracket off my old frame. I'll give a good deal if anyone on here wants it...