Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766

    Crack under headtube?

    I got a 2015 Diamondback Hook, hardtail with 120mm front travel, through Amazon, really nice bike, has served me extremely well.

    I took the bike apart to give it a good clean and replace the drivetrain. While checking the frame for damage, I found two crack-ish looking lines under the headtube, right across the weld. The lines don't touch each other so if it's a crack, it's not all the way through the bottom of the headtube, but just the sides.
    I'm guessing it might be just the paint cracking, since the bike came with a few signs of poor painting process, but this is my only bike and I sure as hell have no budget for a new one, so I'm trying really hard not to freak out. These are the best pictures I could take, sorry if not enough:

    Right side.
    Attachment 1173035
    Right side, crack highlighted.
    Attachment 1173036

    Left side.
    Attachment 1173037
    Left side, crack highlighted.
    Attachment 1173038



    About me and my riding. I'm 150 pounds geared up. My riding style is fairly smooth but I still ride pretty fast, according to my own perception of course. For reference, I have never damaged absolutely anything on the bike excepting for rim dents caused by low pressure and horrifyingly bad landings on the back wheel landing on a square edge. And this is a bike that was $525 when I bought it, so no fancy parts here.
    I have never landed something hard enough (my highest drop to flat is probably just below half a meter, and maybe just below a meter at high speed) to have my fork ( cheapo Suntour XCM) blow me off the bike. The cranks that came with the bike had a bad reputation of breaking on the higher end model, the Line. I haven't been able to damage mine either. Haven't even been able to damage the square taper BB that came with my bike, and I'm only taking it off because I forgot to service it and it went rough early, but the axle never broke or anything.

    And another reference, I'm riding 160mm rotors with tektro aries mechanical disk brakes. Haven't been able to warp, damage, over heat, etc, the rotors, or break the stock cables, and I always stop just fine with them, which means I'm no speed demon either.

    So, I get the feeling that I shouldn't be able to crack a frame, and specially not one that is intended to be used as a fun/jumping/trail riding nimble bike as Diamondback has marketed it, keeping in mind that the frame is the same across the range excepting different standards.

    That, unless my specific frame is faulty. Can't warranty this through amazon since the hassle of shipping it back to the US isn't worth it, and the DB dealer in my city wont take a look at it because they didn't make the sell. But I got you guys .

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,338
    Looks like a crack to me. Rider weight and riding style are not the only factors. Frame fatigue, overheating a weld, poor design... Lots of variables.

    Most likely this is the result of a bad weld, but regardless of the cause I'd stop riding it if it's cracked on both sides. It's only a matter of time before something gives.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    193
    Diamondback frames have a lifetime warranty on rigid bikes. Any shops near you?

    Hard to say from a picture on my phone, but I've cracked 2 trek frames at a weld that looked similar. I noticed it from a creaking sound, investigated and saw it spreading. Aluminum fatigues, and poor design or bad welds don't help that

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766
    They do, but just on rigid frames. The only shop that carries DB wasn't willing to help me out since I bought the bike on Amazon.

    Speaking of sounds, I couldn't have noticed anything, since the fork and drivetrain are noisy enough to cover up everything else.
    If it's a crack, I'm guessing bad weld. Couldn't be fatigue, I only rode this bike like 3 times a week until this year. 2016 and 2015 were mostly weekend rides and not every week.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rngspnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    710
    Welds rarely break. It's always next to a weld where failure occurs. The heat from welding and fatigue are usually what causes something like this. Would definitely recommend not riding that.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    They do, but just on rigid frames. The only shop that carries DB wasn't willing to help me out since I bought the bike on Amazon.

    Speaking of sounds, I couldn't have noticed anything, since the fork and drivetrain are noisy enough to cover up everything else.
    If it's a crack, I'm guessing bad weld. Couldn't be fatigue, I only rode this bike like 3 times a week until this year. 2016 and 2015 were mostly weekend rides and not every week.
    so is the bike sold directly by DB or Amazon, or maybe a better question is who sold you the bike and did it come with DB warranty?

    If you just moved to the area you live in would the same shop not honor the DB warranty had you bought it from another shop in another city? Or is this just their way of getting back at DB for internet sales?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,907
    it's crac-f-ked alright.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Welds rarely break. It's always next to a weld where failure occurs. The heat from welding and fatigue are usually what causes something like this. Would definitely recommend not riding that.
    So it's definitely the latter right? It's right across de border of the weld.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766
    Amazon. The bike did come with a warranty, I thought I could take it to the shop that carries DB (not DB only shop) and they didn't help me out. I'm guessing they just get the bikes somewhere else but don't have a direct relationship with DB, although they do market themselves as an official dealer.
    They are actually the only shop in the country (Honduras) that carries DB.

    Decided to fill a warranty form though, the one on DB's website, and surprisingly they will help me out with a new frame, no questions asked, even though I'm outside of the US. According to the support guy who answered my message, the frame is most likely cracked and all I have to do is have it destroyed so they can send me a new one.
    All I have to do is figure a way to ship the damn thing from the US to here. Shouldn't be a problem, but we got a shitload of political crap going on and the customs office is paralyzed. Talk about a great christmas gift, won't be riding till next year now.

    Anyway, the support guy who answered my ticket asks for my frame to be destroyed so no one else can ride it before sending a new one. Fair enough, but is this common practice among other brands?

    Also, he didn't tell me what's the process, he only asked for a picture of my frame destroyed or cut across the BB shell, and my address so he can send a new frame.

    I'm sure this guy is serious and I trust DB to not leave me without a bike to ride, but it just seems a little bit scary to cut my frame open and then have to wait for an uncertain new one coming just because a guy on my email said so. If someone has already been through a similar experience, what was it like?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    366
    Looks like cracks to me. You can file a warranty claim direct with Diamondback online: https://ride.diamondback.com/support-warranty

    I'd do that (or call them to discuss) and see what they say, let them work it out with the local dealer.
    Guessing DB will not be happy to know their dealer gave you the finger.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    Amazon. The bike did come with a warranty, I thought I could take it to the shop that carries DB (not DB only shop) and they didn't help me out. I'm guessing they just get the bikes somewhere else but don't have a direct relationship with DB, although they do market themselves as an official dealer.
    They are actually the only shop in the country (Honduras) that carries DB.

    Decided to fill a warranty form though, the one on DB's website, and surprisingly they will help me out with a new frame, no questions asked, even though I'm outside of the US. According to the support guy who answered my message, the frame is most likely cracked and all I have to do is have it destroyed so they can send me a new one.
    All I have to do is figure a way to ship the damn thing from the US to here. Shouldn't be a problem, but we got a shitload of political crap going on and the customs office is paralyzed. Talk about a great christmas gift, won't be riding till next year now.

    Anyway, the support guy who answered my ticket asks for my frame to be destroyed so no one else can ride it before sending a new one. Fair enough, but is this common practice among other brands?

    Also, he didn't tell me what's the process, he only asked for a picture of my frame destroyed or cut across the BB shell, and my address so he can send a new frame.

    I'm sure this guy is serious and I trust DB to not leave me without a bike to ride, but it just seems a little bit scary to cut my frame open and then have to wait for an uncertain new one coming just because a guy on my email said so. If someone has already been through a similar experience, what was it like?
    yes, sometimes they want you to destroy in order to avoid shipping back and for liability protection—they are not pulling your leg.

    i am really impressed with their warranty customer service taking care of you across the globe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    193
    To echo above, Trek has a similar policy and wants to see a picture of the BB shell cut out of the frame. I've always had it done through a shop, they generally don't wait to ship a new frame if going through a dealer.

    Glad they got you taken care of, hope it ships without issues to you! Good job finding it, and it's nice to get a follow up to find out what happened

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    yes, sometimes they want you to destroy in order to avoid shipping back and for liability protection—they are not pulling your leg.

    i am really impressed with their warranty customer service taking care of you across the globe.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, I was impressed too. I was actually getting ready to have to ship my frame to them so they could check it out. I'm glad I don't have to get into the hassle of doing that. As long as they send me out a form or some kind of proof that I will be getting my frame, I will be more than happy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    766
    That's exactly what they are asking me too, a picture of the BB cut out of the frame.
    They are almost going the extra mile for me since I'm out of the US, so I'm very impressed on that regard.

    I will update this thread when I finally get to make the order and have it sent to me as soon as the customs office starts moving again. Hopefully won't take too long, It really sucks not to be riding and we got a really nice weather these days.

    Thanks everyone for the help!

  15. #15
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,451
    Another consideration...

    Can you agree to pay for the frame in order to have it shipped before destroying your cracked frame, then when you've received the frame, you can do the deed on the cracked frame, send photos and have them refund what you paid?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    601
    deleted

Similar Threads

  1. Diamondback Hook users, Crack under headtube?
    By Deartist7 in forum Diamondback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-19-2017, 10:26 PM
  2. A9C crack at headtube?
    By Turtle71 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2015, 11:23 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 11:19 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2013, 02:37 PM
  5. Frame crack or paint crack?
    By Rad Rider 415 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.