Commuter/Do It All bike.... Suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Commuter/Do It All bike.... Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to living on my own (I am 19 and stopped going to college recently) I have a pretty good job, at a bike shop, and can employee purchase bikes. I am pretty poor, so price is important. I have a Giant Bowery as my commuter right now, and I pretty much despise that thing. It was VERY badly designed, but back to the point. I am moving to Portland, OR this year, and want to build up a good bike for everything. I have a bob trailer, and plan on doing some touring. I want something that will make my rides to work more fun (drops, riding down stairs, etc), I want something that I will not have to worry about, ever, I plan on using it SS for in town, and having another set of wheels built up for off road use. I am not terribly concerned with weight, though I would like to keep it down enough to still be fast in town. Ive been tossing around the idea of 29er, as it would give me the option of running road wheels (built up sturdy) for touring, although it would look really goofy. I would like to be able to use racks on it. I also want to be able to take it on trails in the Portland area.

Bikes I am looking at:

Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Cross Check
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er

These are just some that I have found, that I liked the prospect of... Not my only options, I am open to other ideas.

Hope this was descriptive and not just rambling...
    Nate

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anyone...

Members who have read this thread: 0