mtbr member
    Jun 2004

CHOICES!!! Blur, Superlight, or Epic for XC Racing???

I have the rare opertunity to get either of these frames at a great price:
    Santa Cruz Blur (100mm fork)
    Santa Cruz Superlight (80mm fork) (what shock should I run?)
    Specialized Epic S-Works (100mm fork)

Regardless of the frame, I would like to run the Fox F100x or 80x depending on the frame geometry. I will use one of these frames to race in a state offroad XC expert class series with lots of climbing, roots, and bumpy high speed trails. Pedaling efficency is very important to me--there are often road or smooth terrian leadouts at races that I would get dropped on with a bobby FS. I am comming from racing on a Speciaized Stumpjumper hardtail that I love for it's climbing efficency.

I love the hardtail, but after demo'ing the Specialized Epic this weekend I love the FS feel with the hardtail efficency. Will the SC Superlight satisfy this w/ a 5th element air or Fox Propedal shock? I will also use the same bike for 12 hour solo/duo races in our local state series--what frame will be comfortable enough for endurance racing but aggressive enough for 1.5 hour XC races?

Weight is quite important--I'd like to get a frame weight around 5.5 lbs or less if possible, in order to get the overall weight of my bike to 23 lbs. I weigh about 165 lbs and am 6'0'' tall--what's the verdict?

shins meet handlebar.
    I would get the Superlight over the Blur, when it comes to racing, just because everyone I know that races on a Santa Cruz, races on a SL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

That's what I heard too....

I heard the same thing--that the SC Blur has too laied back of a geometry for a race bike. I was maily wondering how the SC Superlight compares to the Specialized Epic in terms or rear suspension and durability. A firm pedaling platform is very important, but so is a fairly smooth suspension ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bike fit

For me, purely for racing, I would go with the Epic. I have a Blur and test rode the Epic as well, but now the Epic is improved with the adjustable "brain". Beware the short top tube on the Blur-it is not so great if you like a stretched out race style position. A lot of people are finding that the Epic rides very well with a 100 mm fork, so I would reccomend test riding it with both 100 mm and 80 mm to see which suits you better. A question: can you get a great deal on the fsr also? The 100 mm version with an RP 3 seems like a great bike and the frame is probably lighter than an Epic. Maybe not quite as firm a pedaler though. BTW, I am a former racer turned epic trailrider ( I occasionally do an endurance event)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324

Regardless of the frame, I would like to run the Fox F100x or 80x depending on the frame geometry. I will use one of these frames to race in a state offroad XC expert class series with lots of climbing, roots, and bumpy high speed trails. Pedaling efficency is very important to me--there are often road or smooth terrian leadouts at races that I would get dropped on with a bobby FS. I am comming from racing on a Speciaized Stumpjumper hardtail that I love for it's climbing efficency.

I love the hardtail, but after demo'ing the Specialized Epic this weekend I love the FS feel with the hardtail efficency. Will the SC Superlight satisfy this w/ a 5th element air or Fox Propedal shock? I will also use the same bike for 12 hour solo/duo races in our local state series--what frame will be comfortable enough for endurance racing but aggressive enough for 1.5 hour XC races?

Weight is quite important--I'd like to get a frame weight around 5.5 lbs or less if possible, in order to get the overall weight of my bike to 23 lbs. I weigh about 165 lbs and am 6'0'' tall--what's the verdict?

I run an '00 Superlight with a Manitou Swinger 3 Way with a Black fork. My main riding partner rides an 04 Blur with a Fox Pro Pedal rear shock and 125mm fork.

When we're both on, I get up 95% of the same stuff as the dude on the blur. Somedays I'm just a sack of shyte and he beats me but its not the bike, its fitness.

With an SPV rear shock, I'd say that a SL will be a great race bike. Depending upon where you ride and how technical the course is you could use a 80mm fork, but I prefer a 100. Actually I am running a 110mm and I can climb fine.

I've done a half dozen races and 3 24 hours races on the Superlight. Works great for me.

The only thing that makes me nuts about the Superlight is that dang non-replaceable DR hanger.

Village Dirtbag
    The Epic would probably be most efficient on a short race, not to mention most similar to what you're riding now. The Blur would probably be the best on a 12 hour race since it rides so smooth as well as being efficient. The Superlight would probably fall somewhere inbetween, not to mention being the lightest and most durable.

luvsingletrack

23 pound Blur??

I think you would have a heck of a time getting a Blur to weigh 23#. I am not saying it's impossible, but it will take a lot of cash and some very light, not-so-reliable parts. In my opinion, it just wasn't made to be a 'superlight' race bike. With that said, if you are serious about racing I would go with the Superlight. Put a 5th Element or new Fox RP3 shock on there and drop everyone on the uphills and downhills! Just my opinion though. They are all great bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy2324