Changing Front Fork. What is a Tapered Steerer Fork & a Straight Steerer Fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Changing Front Fork. What is a Tapered Steerer Fork & a Straight Steerer Fork?

Hi Guys,

Need your advise in explaining what is a Tapered Steerer Fork and a Straight Steerer Fork?

Can a Tapered Steerer Fork fit a Straight Steerer Fork Headset or Headtube?

I am currently using a Straight Steerer Fork (RockShox J3), can I change and fit a Tapered Steerer Fork to my frame? Do I need a special adapter for it?

I am planning to buy and install a Tapered Steerer Fork but not sure if it fits my bike Frame, Headtube and Headset. Below is the link of the Front Fork I want to get:
    29ER Fork

My current bike model is: 2006 - KHS Alite 3000:
    KHS Bicycles :: Alite 3000

Can anyone advise what are the specifications of my Bike Frame, Headtube and Headset. And do i need to change the Headset to fit the Tapered Steerer Fork from Hongfu Bikes?

Here are photos of my current bikes Headtube and Front Fork:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1019106...1226/FrontFork

Please advise, thanks much!

mtbr member
    A tapered fork is just that, tapered. It is 1.5" at the crown and 1-1/8th" at the top of the steerer. That fork you linked to won't work with your frame on two counts 1. Your frames head tube will only accept a straight 1-1/8th steerer (unless it has an internal diameter of 44mm, which I kind of doubt.) and 2. Your bike is designed around 26" wheels, so the 29er fork you linked to will do all sorts of funky things to your head angle and bottom bracket height.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    A tapered fork is just that, tapered. It is 1.5" at the crown and 1-1/8th" at the top of the steerer. That fork you linked to won't work with your frame on two counts 1. Your frames head tube will only accept a straight 1-1/8th steerer (unless it has an internal diameter of 44mm, which I kind of doubt.) and 2. Your bike is designed around 26" wheels, so the 29er fork you linked to will do all sorts of funky things to your head angle and bottom bracket height.
    Thanks for the information.

Would anybody have any recommendation for a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork, with Axle to Crown at 470mm, weighing at around 500 ~ 600 grams?

It's hard to find a Straight Steerer Carbon Fork with A-C at 470mm to keep the geometry the same at 100mm, for a corrected 100mm suspension fork. So far i can't find any.

If i come across a Fork that says 29" Carbon Rigid Fork Straight Steerer, and the A-C at 470mm, can i still use it on my 26" bike?
    Like this one:
    YSBIKE Carbon MTB 27.5er Hardtail Fork YS-FMK03 by YiShun for $159.00 in Forks - Frame & Fork
    or
    Trigon 29er MTB Disc Only Carbon Rigid MC10A Fork New | eBay

Please advise!

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008