Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?

Hello all,

I recently bought a bike off an auction site that was described as having wear from normal use.

Much to my horror I found evidence of pretty bad chain suck, and another patch of wear from unknown origin. It's this latter patch that concerns me. It seems to go a fair distance through the aluminium.

Is this frame toast?

Many thanks for any opinions you may have,

Harry

Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?-b.jpg
    Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?-.jpg
    Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?-c.jpg

since 4/10/2009
    I would demand a refund from the seller. That is most certainly NOT "wear from normal use". I'm pretty sure that frame is f0cked. The bb shell is an absolute mess. The chainsuck looks awful, but mostly doesn't look deep enough to compromise much. The inside of the chainstay looks like tire rub, and that looks deep enough to be a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks Harold
    That's my plan! Just wanted to double-check that I wasn't being over-cautious...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The BB thread is OK, I did check, but yes it is a right mess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The hell happened to that bb shell?

Yeah I'd be more worried about the tire rub on the inside, that is pretty deep. You would have noticed that rubbing... There is no situation I can see here where they didn't know it happened

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    The hell happened to that bb shell?
    Not sure! It doesn't look like it was caused by the chain suck to me - more like someone's crunched it up using the wrong tool? No idea... A previous owner has also broken the valve on the suspension, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some maintenance error...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If it was eBay it is as easy as filing a claim and stating the item was not as described. Clearly they failed to provide pictures of that damage or describe it. You will be covered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    If it was eBay it is as easy as filing a claim and stating the item was not as described. Clearly they failed to provide pictures of that damage or describe it. You will be covered.
    Thanks blkangel

It was actually from a bike shop (selling thru eBay) but they were only 1.5hrs drive away so I went and picked it up. I complained and they said to "drop it off" and their mechanics would look at it, and if I'm not happy, give me a refund.

So unless their mechanics are going to replace the frame, I'll settle for nothing less than a refund...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzee View Post
    Thanks blkangel

It was actually from a bike shop (selling thru eBay) but they were only 1.5hrs drive away so I went and picked it up. I complained and they said to "drop it off" and their mechanics would look at it, and if I'm not happy, give me a refund.

So unless their mechanics are going to replace the frame, I'll settle for nothing less than a refund...
    I'd still file through ebay. reports like that go on their seller's record. you don't properly document stuff like that (because you know if you do, it'll affect the sale price), you need to be taught a lesson.

It's probably a bike that a customer dropped off for service and just left behind, and the shop is trying to recoup their costs on it. Which are probably higher than the bike is worth. I've seen that countless times.

mtbr member
    The scratches on the outside of the stay I would ride. The gouge on the inside is a failure waiting to happen. Frame is scrap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    The scratches on the outside of the stay I would ride. The gouge on the inside is a failure waiting to happen. Frame is scrap.
    Agreed. I noticed the scratches on the outside but, although I wasn't happy, I could tolerate them - it wasn't til I got home I noticed the gouge! Scary looking thing

mtbr member
    I reckon that's almost through the metal.

EAT MORE GRIME
    chain suck
    tire wear

junk

unsafe

refund if possible
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Got my refund and also made sure to return it via eBay as "not as described".
    Thanks for the advice, good people of mtbr!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    One final advice request please!

I found another one which has this much damage. It was covered by a protector but I asked the seller to remove to have a look at it.

I imagine this scratch was done then the protector was put on which prevented further damage.

I think this will be absolutely fine, assuming it's re-covered by a protector.Chainstay damage - is the prognosis bleak for this patient?-111.jpg

Would you agree?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hard to tell from that angle, is that the paint that's raised?

I'd say probably, that's typically a beefy part of the frame

EAT MORE GRIME

I found another one which has this much damage. It was covered by a protector but I asked the seller to remove to have a look at it.

I imagine this scratch was done then the protector was put on which prevented further damage.

I think this will be absolutely fine, assuming it's re-covered by a protector.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	1247151

Would you agree?
    NO

those scrapes turn into cracks if you ride a lot
    which turn into broken bike

it may last it may not. how much do you plan on riding ? a ton ? then no

that damage is unacceptable to me. ymmv
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Personally i think that looks like a paint chip. I have had plenty of nicked up chainstays with zero issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    NO

those scrapes turn into cracks if you ride a lot
    which turn into broken bike

it may last it may not. how much do you plan on riding ? a ton ? then no

that damage is unacceptable to me. ymmv
    I'm a beginner! Recent convert. Spent the day on trails with a hired Orange Crush and loved it. Realistically due to heavy work commitments I'm not going to ride loads... probably 10-20 miles a week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Personally i think that looks like a paint chip. I have had plenty of nicked up chainstays with zero issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Hard to tell from that angle, is that the paint that's raised?
    I think it's taken the paint off and will have scratched the metal a little - I imagine it's like 3 out of the 500 scratches that caused the damage in the first picture I posted of the other bike...

since 4/10/2009

I think this will be absolutely fine, assuming it's re-covered by a protector.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	1247151

Would you agree?
    Honestly, anything more than a single chip or scratch in this area is a sign of a bike that's been poorly maintained. I have bikes I've ridden for years that have NEVER had chainsuck and don't have scratches like this at all.

At a certain level, it's less about the chainsuck scratches themselves and more about the general lack of maintenance that results in them. It's a signal that you're going to have OTHER things you're going to have to do to the bike. Deferred maintenance on the suspension, or bearings, possibly a full replacement of the drivetrain. Maybe even something really rare and bizarre that only comes up on bikes that have been treated like trash. You just don't know until you ride the bike (and sometimes not until you've been riding it for awhile). The more signals you have that the bike was taken care of by the previous owner(s), the better off you're going to be as its new owner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Honestly, anything more than a single chip or scratch in this area is a sign of a bike that's been poorly maintained. I have bikes I've ridden for years that have NEVER had chainsuck and don't have scratches like this at all.

At a certain level, it's less about the chainsuck scratches themselves and more about the general lack of maintenance that results in them. It's a signal that you're going to have OTHER things you're going to have to do to the bike. Deferred maintenance on the suspension, or bearings, possibly a full replacement of the drivetrain. Maybe even something really rare and bizarre that only comes up on bikes that have been treated like trash. You just don't know until you ride the bike (and sometimes not until you've been riding it for awhile). The more signals you have that the bike was taken care of by the previous owner(s), the better off you're going to be as its new owner.
    Good thinking. I had assumed that this chain suck was a one-off event, which is why they applied the chainstay protector (that I asked the seller to remove for this photo).

Despite being quite new to mountain bikes, I'm OK with maintaining bikes generally - but point taken.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Honestly, anything more than a single chip or scratch in this area is a sign of a bike that's been poorly maintained.
    Not necessary. I scratched a stay there by fitting a ring that was too big. Cleared the stay fine, until it flexed! The bike is not poorly maintained but it is scratched there.

I would say that the picture isn't clear enough to get an idea of how bad the scratches are. Without seeing the bike in person, I'd pass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Not necessary. I scratched a stay there by fitting a ring that was too big. Cleared the stay fine, until it flexed!
    Owch!!

mtbr member
    Owch!!
    Didn't feel it happening. Rode the bike and when I looked at it later the ring had scratched the stay. Not developed into a crack yet, don't ride that bike that much, but I'm sure it would eventually. Keeping an eye on it.

EAT MORE GRIME
    beginner ? run it

just watch for cracks there

if it does crack it won't toss you off bike, it will just not pedal right and chain will drop