Carbon Hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Carbon Hardtail?

Want to build a carbon hardtail 26 rig. What's a good frame to start with??

Thanks!

The Angry Singlespeeder

Ibis Tranny

Look no further than the Ibis Tranny. In 20 years of MTBing, I've owned a lot of bikes - including full suspension XC rigs. The Tranny is far and away the greatest bike I've ever owned in my life. Goes downhill faster than any 29er hardtail and even faster than my old Specialized S-works Epic full suspension bike. At 20lbs fully built, it levitates over rocks instead of getting mired down into them. Uphill, it's ridiculous. When you stomp on the pedals, it takes every watt of power you put into it and lunges you forward.

It has a rear triangle that completely separates, so you can not only run it as either a geared bike or singlespeed, but it breaks down into a suitcase that fits within airline limits so you can check it as luggage and not pay the bike fee!

I've recommended Trannys to five of my friends. All of them have gotten one, and after they've ridden the Tranny, they've put all their other bikes up in the rafters (including 29ers!).

They're exceptionally durable too - I've banged mine off countless rocks with nary a scratch.

Get one.
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr

g3h6o3
    I'm supposed to receive my new frame today and looked at the Tranny when searching. It looks great but I'm right between the medium & large so I dropped that option. I went for a steel frame instead... hand built locally, full Columbus Zona 4130 tubesets! Yay!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

T.W.O.
    +1 for the Tranny. It's a hoot to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racer34v View Post
    Want to build a carbon hardtail 26 rig. What's a good frame to start with??

Thanks!
    Depends what you mean by saying "good" - xc, marathon or trail? Stiff or flexy? Short and agile or long and stable?

My fav are Trek 9.x series, but it should be your preferences that decide.

Rock and/or Roll
    Quote Originally Posted by Sol1 View Post
    Depends what you mean by saying "good" - xc, marathon or trail? Stiff or flexy? Short and agile or long and stable?

My fav are Trek 9.x series, but it should be your preferences that decide.
    It looks like his only preference is that it be made from carbon fiber. Maybe he doesn't care how it rides.
    As long as it's a "good one".

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    It looks like his only preference is that it be made from carbon fiber. Maybe he doesn't care how it rides.
    As long as it's a "good one".
    You forgot to add he must have a limitless budget or if not I'm sure it would have been posted.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    You forgot to add he must have a limitless budget or if not I'm sure it would have been posted.
    you mean as long as they are under $300

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, The Ibis is hot! Any luck on the Ibis threads being laid here? A us made frame is relatively importance to me,

I apologize for not further qualifying my request, The target ride i am building it for would be mainly multi-use trail and some state park trail use (no severe drops or rocky terrain.... its southern michigan)

Going to build as a 2x10 with the intent of using a 100mm travel fork

Stiff, short and agile would be the characteristics i desired if i had to choose.

T.W.O.
    US made carbon frame? that's limit your choices a bit. I know Seven offer one, high end Trek carbon frames may still be made in Waterloo. Not sure about Titus.

If you are concern about quality then I can tell you that Brand name Carbon frame like Spech, Ibis, Pivot, Cannondale, GT are just awesome. I don't know if I'd go with the cheap Chinese frame because I've never tried one.

mtbr member
    If you want to buy US because it's patriotic, that's a totally noble cause. If your concerns are about quality, there's no need to worry about carbon manufactured abroad. Of course, it still prudent to stick to well known and proven brands that work with reputable manufacturers.

Spesh has the frames for the $18k Venge road bike manufactured in China, just sayin.