Dutchman

Carbon frame spray paint removal

The Stealth look is not for me. I want to restore the bike to original look. Previous owner used matt black spray paint on everything. What can I us to remove it? Do not want to damage the carbon or the original paint and decals. IS there a wipe or something?
    Pain is temporary but Pride is forever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    He should have used Plastidip...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman59 View Post
    The Stealth look is not for me. I want to restore the bike to original look. Previous owner used matt black spray paint on everything. What can I us to remove it? Do not want to damage the carbon or the original paint and decals. IS there a wipe or something?
    If it is poorly sealed a medium, maybe even fine, would use coarse as a last resort, clay bar with plenty of lube might take it off. Have seen it used effectively on spray paint overspay on autos moths after the fact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dutchman
    Actually used Dupli-Color matt black

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman59 View Post
    Actually used Dupli-Color matt black
    It might work. I've never tried it on that application though. Any big box or auto store should have a kit.

mtbr member
    And you're sure this bike wasn't stolen? That's normally when I'd see something like a good carbon frame sprayed all black, when thieves try to disguise stolen property.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Spray paint often wipes off easily with solvent, like acetone or lacquer thinner. This wont' damage the carbon providing you don't soak it in a tub of it for days. Get some rags, wet and wipe.
    Do the math.

Dutchman
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    And you're sure this bike wasn't stolen? That's normally when I'd see something like a good carbon frame sprayed all black, when thieves try to disguise stolen property.
    I am sure. I have his address, cell and e-mail address. He just wanted to make it stealth.

EAT MORE GRIME
    leave it alone. any solvent or sanding is further risk to the frame.

Acetone will eat right thru epoxy resin and cause delamination in the composite.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    You best bet is to get the frame cerakoted. Many gun shops do cerakoting, they will do a lite walnut blast to even out and produce a surface that the cerakoting will stick too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

Acetone will eat right thru epoxy resin and cause delamination in the composite.
    Clay bar poses absolutely zero risk to the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

No. It won't.

I would have "delaminated" a good number of carbon tubular rims removing old adhesive if that were the case. Epoxy is not like glues or paint that have solvent in them and that set up as the solvent evaporates. Epoxy cures via a chemical reaction that cause covalent bonds to form between the molecules. There's no solvent involved. Epoxy occupies the same volume and weighs the same before and after curing whereas solvent based glues and paints shrink and weigh less after the solvent evaporates.
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 12-20-2017 at 05:29 AM.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    No. It won't.

I would have "delaminated" a good number of carbon tubular rims removing old adhesive if that were the case. Epoxy is not like glues or paint that have solvent in them and that set up as the solvent evaporates. Epoxy cures via a chemical reaction that cause covalent bonds to form between the molecules. There's no solvent involved. Epoxy occupies the same volume and weighs the same before and after curing whereas solvent based glues and paints shrink and weigh less after the solvent evaporates.
    Pretty much this. Here's a few ways to for sure to destroy a carbon frame, boil it in water for an hour or so. That causes the epoxy to lift away from its bonds. Then there's chemicals like sulfuric acid, that's always a winner and some others that I can't pronounce. Then there's good old heat, 400f or so. And there is also thermal shock, rapid heating then cooling stresses the epoxy causing joint seperation, etc. All these methods are sure fire catastrophic ways to destroy carbon/epoxy. Acetone, not so much.

That said, I'd leave the paint. Getting it down to the epoxy finish is hard in that its hard to know how much you took off and you don't want to take any off. The cured resin is harder than any paint in the world, and in trying to remove the paint you could damage or remove the super hard resin. If it were me, I'd just prep the frame for a fresh coat of paint and clear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Extreme weight weenies have been known to remove the paint off brand new carbon frames to save those precious grams! If you are determined to remove the paint I would ask for advice on the weight weenie page.
    Kes