Carbon frame or........ the 'correct' size.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Carbon frame or........ the 'correct' size.....

Newbie poster diving in with a question I’m not sure can really be answered but here goes…..

The local thieves decided they wanted my bike more than me and one pair of bolt cutters later, I’m in the market for a new full suss. I had a look in the LBS at the weekend and an option has come up that I’d not planned on having. I need some help selecting one of these two;

Cube AMS 110 Race.
    Nice bike with Alu frame, Sram X0 components, Fox Float RP23 shock, Rock Shox Reba RL fork, 110mm travel, 12.1kg, €2,000

Cube Sting (2011 bike)
    Carbon frame bike, mostly XT and XLS components, Fox Float RP23 shock, Rock Shox Reba RLT fork, 120mm travel, 11.8kg, €2,150

My riding;
    Weekends spent on trails, 50/50 fireroad/rocks&roots trails

The rider;
    6’2”, 85kg (188lbs)

I intend to keep this bike for a few years, I don’t renew every season.

The problem…..
    I tried the AMS 110 with a 20” frame, (in theory that’s my size), and it felt good.
    The Sting is a lot of bike for the money, but it’s a 2011 bike so my LBS only has it in 18”. I tried it though and to be honest, it felt good too!!!

My question;
    Am I kidding myself thinking that a 18” frame fits a 6’2” rider……..?
    Since I’m keeping this bike for more than a couple of years, (and without opening the carbon frame MTB debate!! ) will a carbon frame stand the test of time………?
    Is the 300gram saving with the carbon frame worth a trade off to get all X0 SRAM components.....?

bi-winning
    It's really difficult to fit somebody to a bike over the internet, but I'll be general and say an 18" frame is typically not a good fit for a 6'2" rider.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Acknowledged that it's not ideal to fit a bike via the www. Comment appreciated though, thanks

LightJunction.com
    Have you ever been "fit" for a bike at a shop? Most local shops have some kind of fit system. I'd investigate that option to see how far off the 18" bike is. If it's not your size, I wouldn't ride it, no matter how good the deal is. Just my two cents.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No fit system as such in the LBS, and I'd say he was keen to get rid of the 2011 bike. That said, it did feel ok on a test spin.
    Ignoring the size question then, any thoughts on the two bikes side by side?

T.W.O.
    Remember this not all 18" bike are the same, but like rkj_ said you may be pushing the size a bit. I'm a big advocate of going with smaller frame if they both fit for a trail bike. It's much easier to move around the bike. I'm 5'7" and fit both Med and Small Ibis Mojo, I have both and I prefer the small when I ride more technical trails.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRoad2Dublin View Post
    Newbie poster diving in with a question I’m not sure can really be answered but here goes…..

The local thieves decided they wanted my bike more than me and one pair of bolt cutters later, I’m in the market for a new full suss. I had a look in the LBS at the weekend and an option has come up that I’d not planned on having. I need some help selecting one of these two;

Cube AMS 110 Race.
    Nice bike with Alu frame, Sram X0 components, Fox Float RP23 shock, Rock Shox Reba RL fork, 110mm travel, 12.1kg, €2,000

Cube Sting (2011 bike)
    Carbon frame bike, mostly XT and XLS components, Fox Float RP23 shock, Rock Shox Reba RLT fork, 120mm travel, 11.8kg, €2,150

My riding;
    Weekends spent on trails, 50/50 fireroad/rocks&roots trails

The rider;
    6’2”, 85kg (188lbs)

I intend to keep this bike for a few years, I don’t renew every season.

The problem…..
    I tried the AMS 110 with a 20” frame, (in theory that’s my size), and it felt good.
    The Sting is a lot of bike for the money, but it’s a 2011 bike so my LBS only has it in 18”. I tried it though and to be honest, it felt good too!!!

My question;
    Am I kidding myself thinking that a 18” frame fits a 6’2” rider……..?
    Since I’m keeping this bike for more than a couple of years, (and without opening the carbon frame MTB debate!! ) will a carbon frame stand the test of time………?
    Is the 300gram saving with the carbon frame worth a trade off to get all X0 SRAM components.....?
    If your last bike fit well, find the geo numbers on it (particularly the top tube length) and see which size of the frame sizes you are looking at is closer. Go with that.

I think any compromise on size for the purposes of a better deal is a really, really bad idea.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Members who have read this thread: 0