Carbon fail... would you ride it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Carbon fail... would you ride it?

Not sure what happened here. looks like maybe a decent log came up and smacked the downtube. I think warrantee is up. could try to get a crash replacement i guess. part of me wants to just ride it. part of me wants it to be "perfect". thoughts?

Have been riding my rigid lately instead.

and it's not just a paint issue... trust me
    Last edited by nmanchin; 09-13-2010 at 08:20 AM.

≈ > ♥
    I hope you have a fullface...

AZ
    banned
    I wouldn't ride it .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No, the cracks probably indicate a failure in the base material.

In other words.

Frame break, fall down go boom. Many ouchies

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Cannondale has a lifetime frame warranty. At worst, you'll get a new frame much cheaper than retail.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Definitely don't ride that, unless you enjoy ER visits and have good insurance. You can send it to Calfee for repair. You could also contact carbonolgy and see if they have a repair kit you could use. I suscessfully repaired a small crack on a Trek road frame with one of their kits, but your damage is a lot more than what I had.

http://carbonology.com/
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Well, Technically...

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale Warranty
    This warranty is void if the bicycle is subjected to ... an accident ....
    Cannondale would probably hook you up if you have a nice dealer but it is outside the scope of the warranty.

Let Cannondale inspect it. It really looks like something internally had failed...more than just a random strike. If that's the case - you get a new frame!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin
    Not sure what happened here. looks like maybe a decent log came up and smacked the downtube. I think warrantee is up. could try to get a crash replacement i guess. part of me wants to just ride it. part of me wants it to be "perfect". thoughts?

Have been riding my rigid lately instead.

and it's not just a paint issue... trust me
    can't say that looks like the result of an impact of some sort. if cannondale has a lifer warranty, get it replaced before it fails completely with you on it
    nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

It's about showing up.

Looks like a crack without an abrasion

I'd have C'dale look at it.

Oh I wouldn't ride it either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Take the advice from the above, I have seen graphite fishing rods explode due to small nicks. That there is a structural issue. Stop riding it.

Also, like the other guys said, there is no obvious evidence of impact damage. If there was an impact, you would see crushed resin in the impact zone. Kinda like powdered glass bits.

Talk to the dealer, that should be covered under the life time warranty. Riding it more will make the crack look more like it was crushed. That because the crack will be flexing on itself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks everyone. I appreciate your advice and concern. Haven't been riding it and won't be riding it. Doesn't look like any impact to me either so hopefully they will take care of it. it really is a fun rig it's a shame carbon is such a dark alluring mistress.

banned
    Apr 2010
    I'd see what the price difference between replacement and repair is and then go from there. Carbon can be repaired, which is a beautiful thing...

Never trust a fart
    Repair on that would cost around $600 if done by Calfee or RRVelo. I just had a frame estimated by Calfee for a small crack at the relief in the top of the seat tube. Cost of repair with pain would be around $300-400 for the initial estimate.

Let Cannondale deal with their own work. Looks like OP may be getting a new frame....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think the replacement cost of the frame is cheaper than a trip to the ER. That may just be i my town, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My aluminum specialized frame failed at the headpost, split in too, had a lifetime warranty on the frame, so they gave me a new one...no questions asksed...

mtbr member
    Well they don't call them Crack n' Fail for nothing.... But the good news is they are good about standing behind there product.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not that this should change the approach you take (I agree with everyone-- don't ride it), but you can take a heavy coin (nickel or quarter) and bounce it on edge over an undamaged part of the downtube. It should make a solid, resonant "thunk" as would be expected. Now bounce it on the damaged part-- if the underlying carbon plies are damaged, it should be a much duller, softer sound.
    D

Members who have read this thread: 0