Carbon?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Carbon?

T.W.O

Carbon?

This is a cross post from Weight Weenies.

Hello,

I am pretty new to the sport, I have been mountain biking starting this season a few times a week... thinking it might be time for an upgrade. I ordered my bike through my work so I got a Diamondback Response Sport at cost. It is all stock and I feel like it is pushing almost 30lbs.

I want to start upgrading my parts, my frame or just buy a new bike all together before next spring. I want to get a carbon bike, because I am a very small guy, I'm 5-11 but I only weight around 160lbs. I feel like having a lighter bike would help me immensely with climbing hills etc so I would like to get it around 18-20lbs.

I've been reading the forums and everyone really trashes the quality of carbon, saying it breaks quite easy etc. I do mostly cross country and tech. trails so nothing really downhill. At some point I would like to do some XC races. Is carbon really that bad?

-pat

mtbr member
    Nope
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

AZ
    banned
    It explodes when exposed to sunlight or moonlight or something like that ............

OK , just kidding , plenty of threads on Carpet Fiber frames . Use due diligence and search and search again , buy from a reputable seller , make sure you get a warranty . Good luck .

mtbr member
    CF is fantastic but do you realize the cost of getting a carbon frame and full build weight to 18-20lbs? think in the many thousands of dollars range.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    CF is fantastic but do you realize the cost of getting a carbon frame and full build weight to 18-20lbs? think in the many thousands of dollars range.
    That's fine, I'm only 20 so I have a long time to get there lol.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    Thanks to ebay, online stores, and well he said "next season" he could do 20 pounds for about $1200. Especially if he works in a bike store where there's bound to be some mechanic willing to teach him how to build his own wheels (if he doesn't know the skill already).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can either get carbon 456 from the UK which is a great frame.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOCAR4...rbon-456-frame

or go ebay Chinese way and get a CF for $350 (including shipping). I have got my frame within 4 days (waiting for another for my wife). Mine is going to weigh around 23.5 pounds with big tires. The total cost was around $1600 for one bike. Since we already own 2 Pitches, 2 Treks and now 2 CF bikes I had to watch my budget.

T.W.O
    Ok I was wondering about those frames because I searched on google before I posted. I just don't like ordering stuff online because you never know what your going to get, or even if your going to get it.

But those have been ordered from those chinese sellers and are fine?

AZ
    banned
    Look for the "my ebay carbon frame" thread .

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am not convinced that carbon is as resilient as alloys/steel/ Ti etc....and I don't think that the weight advantages make economic sense for all but the most commited riders.

If I were you I'd spend a bit more time before plunging in.

Shedding weight isn't the be all and end all and it often comes at a cost in terms of other areas of bike performance.

Anything that'd kill a carbon frame would kill an aluminium frame also, and most likely the lighter built ti frames, and definitely lighter built steel frames.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    before you jump on lightening the frame, i would start by lightening some other aspects of the bike.... you will notice dropping weight in your wheelsets/tires quite a bit more than you will in the frame its self... plus changing out bars, seats, seat posts etc will pair down your weight in probably a more economical way (and whenever you do want a new frame, it's all transferrable).

d87
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know a guy who snapped a carbon seatpost. He had to go to hospital to pick out the splintered carbon out of his arse..

Don't trust it, steal is real!!

mtbr member
    I know a guy who's been riding a carbon full suspension with carbon bars for 3 years now and nothing's broken.

I've yet to break a carbon bar or post. I have however broken a syncros hardcore post and they're second only to Thomson posts in strength.

Saving lives with knives.
    I think if you're looking for weight to price ratio, you're still better off getting an alloy frame and splurging on ultra light parts. If you're after the 'ride' of carbon fiber then you're pretty much stuck with the high price tag for a high quality frame. Be aware that there is much more to do with ride quality than merely what choice of frame material you use. I ride an aluminum road frame that just plain and simple has a nicer ride than a lot of mid range carbon road bikes.

Although weight is the most objective way to improve a bikes performance, there are lots of things that will make your bike "seem" faster. Light weight rims & tires have a dramatic affect on your bikes performance. Going tubeless (esp. DIY tubeless) will improve your rolling resistance and will help smooth out your ride.

I know a bunch of guys with carbon bikes, none of them have broken a frame. I have carbon forks on my road bikes and have had no problems. The only carbon part I've ever broken was an early easton carbon handle bar. The problem with carbon is that when it does fail it is usually catastrophic, and without much warning.

I ride an aluminum softail that weighs in the 22-23 pound range. It wouldn't be that crazy for me to get it into the 20-21 pound range, but I like big knobby tires, I have heavy-ish King ISO hubs, I have a Pushed RS Reba U-turn that I love, and other expensive hobbies to fund... so I'll just have to pedal harder
    Last edited by frank daleview; 09-08-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've done a light weight dual suspension bike, hated it. I will gladly ride a bike that is 1-2 lbs. heavier then a weenie weight bike. The bike felt like a noodle, tires slip, felt like I couldn't get the suspension to balance out. Went back to a wider tire (more grip), stiffer (adjustable) fork, little heavier wheels (1590 grams vs. 1425). Went from 22 lbs. to 25 and I have a bike that I feel can ride faster then the lighter version.

Members who have read this thread: 0